No announcement yet.

Matching a Custom 5 with which woods??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching a Custom 5 with which woods??

Pretty much a JB guy here for the bridge position (with a very few exceptions), but recently acquired a C5.

Some of the options I'm considering are:

- Old Kramer Pacer, h/s/s with Hot Rails in neck and middle.
    Poplar body (I think) w/ rosewood. C5 would replace a JBJ.

- Early 90s Hamer Centaura, h/s/s with Hot Rails in neck and middle.
    Mahogany body w/ rosewood. C5 would replace a JB.

- Early 90s American Standard Strat, h/s/s with Hot Rails in neck and middle.
    Alder body w/ maple. C5 would replace a DD.

Am leaning strongly toward the Hamer. Any C5 users have any input?

Thanks!!

Re: Matching a Custom 5 with which woods??

Another vote for the Hamer. C5's need mahogany to fill in some of the mids, as they're pretty scooped. I use my C5's (in mahogany) with 250K pots, which gives a fuller tone, and still leaves enough treble to cut thru.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

C5 is great in about anything! I dont think there is a better pickup for an SG. I have a C5 in a strat and it is amazing. I had one in my Explorer for years and it was very good..
      Would work great in any of them you list. However, for 80s rock, the JBJ in the Kramer are just a perfect match.
      The strat would be great too. But Id prob go with the Hamer. If the Hamer is already big on the bottom end, the C5 may be alil boomy. If so, simply pop in an Alnico 4 magnet and you can keep all the tone and shave of alittle bit if the highs and lows. I dont think you'll have a prob with that, but just in case, dont write it off. My explorer was just alittle much in the low end (but it's a huge slab o mahogany) so, the A4 did the trick..
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I like a C5 in alder. Just my .02
        MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Working...
        X