banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which better for pinch harms? The Custom or Pearly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which better for pinch harms? The Custom or Pearly?

I can do them on an acoustic so I know any pickup can do them. Just wondering if one of these is better that the other. I know the Zakk Wylde's are made for them but I think the ZW's are a little too harsh for me. thanks

Re: Which better for pinch harms? The Custom or Pearly?

you can take what I have to say with a grain of salt ...
    I haven't used a PG, but the Rev G is one of the masters of harmonics, so I would expect the PG to be quite worthy in that department
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

PG will make you play, sound and eventually look like Billy Gibbons.

just kidding, but it's a great pup.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

PG rules!

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
          PG will make you play, sound and eventually look like Billy Gibbons.

just kidding, but it's a great pup.
          LOL I have both and I think they're equally good for pinch harmonics. That is, I haven't tried them both in the same guitar to be objective, but the two guitars I have them installed in are quite similar, so I believe I'm not way off the mark here.
          I have the PG in a mah/maple bodied, mah/RW-bolt-necked guitar with a string-through fixed bridge with the 24.75 scale, and the DC in a mah-bodied, mah/EB-bolt-necked/Floyd Rose-equipped Strat-style, and to me pinch harmonics are equally easy to do on either. Granted, the PG-loaded guitar sounds deeper and thicker, but that's the matter of the scale.

Man, I'm not sure if this post helps at all... Geee
          Peace
          Tony
          Gibson Hawk Series guitars rule!

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Comment

Both do harmonics well, but I like the more open response of the PG better than the more saturated character of the Custom. I think a good combo would be PGn and Custom at the bridge. It'll cover a lot of styles well and will get you good harmonics, even from the neck pickup.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I dont know if it is me or what, but i found that it is not the pickup that makes the pinch harmonics easier but the pick type/attack/ technique/gain you use?
              pickup wise i have always got them with ALL pups with ease

Comment

RG is totaly right

It is totally your technique and the amount of gain you use with your amp, and how your pick and fingers interact with the strings, high output pickups may only help alittle cause of the extra ouput and gain. I find it is not harder to to pinch harmonics on any one pickup, pickups are there to add a unique voicing to your guitar, the harmonics may sound slightly more edgy or mellow with different pickups. Anyways
                PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                Blackstar HT-5
                2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

My Les Paul has Classic 57s in it. And my Strat has a Hotrails. It is so much easier with the hotrails than the Classic 57. I guess cause its a hotter PU

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                    I dont know if it is me or what, but i found that it is not the pickup that makes the pinch harmonics easier but the pick type/attack/ technique/gain you use?
                    pickup wise i have always got them with ALL pups with ease
                    No problem here as well, though the Hot Rails take a little work compared to other hot pickups. But once you achieve them, they're snarling bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                      Both do harmonics well, but I like the more open response of the PG better than the more saturated character of the Custom. I think a good combo would be PGn and Custom at the bridge. It'll cover a lot of styles well and will get you good harmonics, even from the neck pickup.
                      I agree....I've tried 'em both in a Les Paul and the PG is more open. They are both great pickups for sweet harmonics.
                      ....Bob

Comment

I also found that on some guitars that were more resonant and responsive harmonics were easier to get and also those with certain necks, i,e an Ibanez with a floyd, I got harmonics jumping out all over the place especially with the Dimarzio pickups which seemed to fit it very nicley (though I dont like the sound of Ibanez gats) whereas with cheap copys it is harder to get.
                        PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                        1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                        Blackstar HT-5
                        2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                        Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Working...
                        X