banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend pickups for an Ibanez GRX20???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend pickups for an Ibanez GRX20???

I haven't played in many, many years and recently decided to get back into it. Wanted to keep the initial re-investment low so I decided on an Ibanez GRX20 ($150...local shop) with Powersound 1 (neck) and Powersound 2 (bridge) humbucker pickups in it. The sound is ok, but not quite what I'm looking for. I really like the sound of the Epiphone LP Standard, but at $529 at the local shop, it's more than I care to spend right now. I like everything from delta blues, S.R.V. to Rammstein & Metallica type music. I've got a Digitech RP350 modeling processor ($150...musiciansfriend.com) to get me the real crunchy death metal sound if I want it, and a Fender Frontman FM25 Series II amp ($140...local shop).

First and foremost, I am looking for a good clean and blues sound. Second, I'm looking for that distortion for when I want to get a little crazy.

I was considering the Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz in the neck and SH-4 in the bridge (the "Hot Rodded Humbucker" set). A friend recommended the SH-5 in the bridge, said the SH-4 wouldn't be enough distortion for me. Thought about the SH-13 Dimebucker in the bridge but was told that would be too much distortion, especailly when paired with the SH-2 in the neck.

HELP!! Has anyone upgraded this guiter with SD's??

Thanks

Re: Can anyone recommend pickups for an Ibanez GRX20???

This may not be what you want to hear but, leave the cheap ibanez the way it is and just play... Great pickups in a cheap guitar wont make it sound great only better (And in my opinion, pickups shouldn't cost twice as much as the guitar they're in). My advise, slowly save your money and if in 6 months or a year from now, if your still playing a lot, then you might feel differently about investing in a mid-priced guitar and then you can slowly modify the hell out of it and make it truly your own.

But if you do decide to put SD's into the Ibanez, and you like both Blues and Metal be wary of putting to an high output pickup like a JB into it. You might have trouble getting those subtle Blues tones with a shrill high output pickup. But with a low/moderate output pickup like a PAF (that are great for Blues and Rock), getting Metal tones are easy if you have Digitech RP350 pedal...

Comment

Originally posted by MasterKtulu View Post
      This may not be what you want to hear but, leave the cheap ibanez the way it is and just play... Great pickups in a cheap guitar wont make it sound great only better (And in my opinion, pickups shouldn't cost twice as much as the guitar they're in). My advise, slowly save your money and if in 6 months or a year from now, if your still playing a lot, then you might feel differently about investing in a mid-priced guitar and then you can slowly modify the hell out of it and make it truly your own.
      I agree. And while you're at it, save as much $$ as you can for a GOOD amp. Any knowledgeable guitar player will tell you even the best guitar in the world will sound crappy through a cheap amp; but a not-so-good guitar may end up sounding ok through a good amp.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      BWAHAHAHA

If you can swap the magnet on an epoxy encased active pickup without damaging the coils or circuit board, you, my dear sir, are god.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your response. It is much appreciated.
        I'm sold on your points to wait and save.

As for the Amp, I'm looking for something simple with an awesome clean/blues sound...in planning for the future I was considering the Fender Hot Rod Delux, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Windsor Studio (like the power sponge on this one) or the Peavey ValveKing. Chose these Peavey's because they seem quite comparable to the Fender, but $200 - $400 cheaper. Checked out the Marshall MG100DFX, it has killer distortion but just ok clean...but a lot of frills that I don't need because I have the RP350.

Comment

+1 for a decent amp. if i were you, i'd look into either the new vox vt modelers, or the fender xd super champs. in fact, there's a thread about the super champs over in the amp room right now, and there's one for sale in the trading post
          Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
          ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

I agree a good amp is paramount, but I disagree that a cheap guitar can't sound great with good pickups.
            Epiphones, and my lower end Jacksons certainly sound just as good - better in fact - IMO than the vastly more expensive Gibsons and Fenders I've played.

Some manufacturers skimp on the electronics/pickups in order to keep their guitars at a low price point, but structurally they are a great base to build on. If it plays and feels good, there's no reason not to put SDs in there.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Good Morning Rockin Rob,
              Ibanez grx20 is a cheap entry level guitar.
              Epiphone uses g&b pickups (korean pickups) the same of prs made in korea.
              another good pickups factory is ARTEC pickups (made in Korea).
              if you want seymour duncan is better an high level quality guitar ibanez or other brands.

thanks
              vintage

Comment

Buy USED pickups...
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                X