banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with my set of Seth Lovers - Need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with my set of Seth Lovers - Need help!

Just bought a '96 Hamer Artist Customs which comes stock with Seth Lovers. The previous owner used different set of pick-ups. He put a set in prior to shipping. I opened her up today and the neck pickup is from 96 (like the guitar) but the bridge unit is from 2002. I guess that shouldn't be any problem. (See pic)

Plugged in I could immediately hear a BIG difference. Neck pickup sounds full and fat - like expected. BUT the bridge pickup is weak and thin. What's the problem? I unsoldered the pickups and measured them. The neck measures 7.5k Ohm and the bridge 7.2k Ohm according to my "digimeter".
    I thought the bridge should be closer to 8.1kOhm (Duncan specs).

I've checked the solder joints and the pots and they all seem ok.

Any ideas????

- Johan
    Sweden

Re: Problems with my set of Seth Lovers - Need help!

I do beleive that you have two neck pickups in your axe. Judging from the resistance values, and if you intend to keep both of these pickups in your guitar, I would put the one that is currently in the neck, at the bridge, and the one that is now at the bridge I would put it in the neck. This should give you a bit more balance than you have now.

BTW, beautiful guitar, man.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

What I thought...but then again the sticker says SH55B. Should be a bridge pickup. Easy to swap the sticker though. If they are both neck pickups I'll probably look into something else.

Comment

That is interesting. The sticker clearly indicates it's a bridge model. It could simply be that it was mislabled at the factory. I highly recommend putting the hotter neck model in the bridge before you decide to try something else. I used a 59(n) in the bridge position of one of my guitars for quite some time, and I really liked the result....so you may be plesantly suprised as well. I can't remember who told me this, maybe Evan or Jeremy, but I believe Seymour himself is known to use a neck bucker in the bridge slot from time to time.

Must be something to it if the man himself does it.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

I'll do just that. Bridge pup in neck and neck pup in bridge. That will answer alot of questions I hope. May be a mislabled bridge pickup. Thanks guys!

Comment

I have never seen a Seth bridge that measures below 7.9 so it's likely your pickup is labeled incorrectly or has other issues.

While swapping the location will help you some I highly doubt you will be totally happy with 7.5K in the bridge either. Switching is a worthwhile experiment but I feel you will be happier if you make the move and get a true bridge pickup in there.

Comment

I agree with Black Rose. My Seths register in the "8's I think. If you switch the pups prior to getting a new bridge Seth, try raising the height for the time being an dsee if that helps with the output and tone. However, getting a new pup will be the real answer.

Good luck,

Jeff
              "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Nice axe Johan... really nice!
                Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Working...
                X