Seymour Jb/Jazz 7 string set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Jb/Jazz 7 string set?

Hi, just wondering if this pu combination would do it for me. I've recently bought a new ibanez rg 1527 (basswood, maple neck, rosewood board, floyd) and the stock pu's sound a bit lifeless to me. On my six stringers i've got dimarzio's but i find them a bit "transparent". So i'm actually curious about seymour's quality. This jb/jazz combo seems to be a very popular set. Specs and soundfiles look good. But some of you think the jb can be too trebly? From wat i've heard on the soundfiles it's clean sound is surprisingly good for a hb!

Now what i want is a very versatile guitar, i play in a rock coverband wich goes from bon jovi to dream theater. I want a very articulate sound, also be able to do some stratish clean sounds, nice warm neck pu (love petrucci's) and simply the best bridge humbucker in the world!!!! (Or is that to much to ask?).

Please help me out!

Re: Seymour Jb/Jazz 7 string set?

I have a Washburn 7 string and use a 59 neck and custom bridge, this sounds far better than the stock pups, i believe this to be a popular alternative combination to what you are contemplating. Also i use a fender tbx tone
    system and have replaced the 3 way switch to a fender 5 way and is wired as follows
    Pos 1 Bridge , full
    pos 2 both humbuckers full
    pos 3 neck full
    pos 4 bridge full and neck split
    pos 5 Bridge split
    This is now a much more powerfull sounding and versitile guitar.
    hope this helps
    Ibanez RG1570 Dimarzio PAF Joe, MoJoe and Fast track1, Aria PE DLX (stock)

Comment

Thanks Trev, i've checked the specs of the Custom bridge model. It looks quite similar to the dimarzio tone zone wich i find way too muddy. So i'm not shure what to do... and actually i also can't decide to go with the 59 or jazz model. Maybe even the dimarzio air norton.

Comment

The Custom and the Tone Zone might look similar on paper, but the Custom is in no way muddy. At least the 6 string version isn't.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Choosing the right pu's is not so easy... Maybe someone's got some sound clips of those pu's?

Dimarzio would be the safe way to go, but i just want to try seymours. Has any of you got the Air Norton 7 string pu?

Comment

I've got a Custom/Jazz set in my RG1527. The Custom is definitely in no way muddy. It retains articulation and crunch on the lower strings while also having some good bite in the treble. It is not as shrill as the JB can be (I'm one of the few who hates that pickup). The Jazz offers amazing clarity and is remarkably open. I do most of my soloing with the neck pickup and it remains clear even under high gain. It is not a high output pickup so the sustain is not the greatest, but it is pretty smooth. I've also got them split and the Jazz gives off some sparkling cleans as well.

One thing to be aware of, you will need to modify the pickups slightly to get them in the guitar. You'll have to clip the underside of the pole pieces and trim the corners of the mounting ears. I was told by Duncan that the clipping of the pole pieces will result in a slightly hotter pickup but will not change the character of the pickup. Also I would still be able to exchange within the 21 days if I wanted to. Check with them to make sure that you will be able to do that if you need to.
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply's. I've decided to go for an jb/jazz set since i was very impressed by the clean sound sample of the jb on the website. If i do find it to thin harsh or whatever then i simply change it for a custom. I've read the story of clipping the pole pieces also on jemsite. Seems to be not that much work...

I'm really curious how duncan's wil work out for me. Now is there someone who can tell me wich american online store(s) ship to europe? Here in the Netherlands a pu costs me about $130, so it's better to order some in the usa.

Comment

Working...
              X