is a C5 really like a 59?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a C5 really like a 59?

is the C5 really like a 59 with more output and a bit more bass. i have a 59 set in an all korina hamer studio and want a little more uhmf out of the bridge PU. i love the sound of this guitar (clear and articulate with good string separation) but don't really like the lacking bass response. so, the SD description sounds like just what i was looking for.

some folks say the the C5 has a mid scoop. i don't really like that idea. i play most classic rock type tones, from cleanish to dirty rude, NOT looking for a nu meatal machine.

any help would be great.

thanks,

Re: is a C5 really like a 59?

The C5 description I would agree with "Sounds Like a 59 on Steroids" I dont think the C5 is that scooped either it just has more Bass and Highs on the plus side mids are about flat.

I've got the C5 in my McCarty and it sounds great!

Comment

I think it sounds like a 59 with a little more bass and smoother highs. It does not sound scooped to me. I'd say it sounds balanced. It probably sounds "scooped" if you have a "scooped" amp or "scooped" speakers though
      My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by J.LaGrassa
        The C5 description I would agree with "Sounds Like a 59 on Steroids" I dont think the C5 is that scooped either it just has more Bass and Highs on the plus side mids are about flat.

I've got the C5 in my McCarty and it sounds great!

If there's more bass and treble than mids then it's pretty much scooped.

And it sure looks scooped from the specs much like the '59.

Comment

Well it's only a $5 magnet swap away from being a Custom or CC. Both of those have plenty of mids. I think the Custom series, to be honest, can cover just about any ground you want them to.

I'd particularly recommend the Custom for classic rock.
          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
          Originally posted by Sosomething
          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I agree with J. La. A beefed up '59. Not over the top at all. May seem a little more compressed than the '59, but hardly noticeable. I too have one in my PRS and it rocks. Good luck & welcome to the forum!

Peace

Darrin

Comment

In my experience, the C5 is a little louder than the 59, and the bass is tighter and punchier - like the difference between a closed back (C5) and open back (59) speaker cab.

I use a 59n with the C5 in my Les Paul Custom, and I think it's a match made in tone heaven!
              Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Have any of you been able to get good modern hard rock tones from the C-5? I like my bridge pickup to be versatile and for me that would be clean to mid gain to high gain....vintage to modern. That is a lot to ask from a pickup I know. I did have the C-5 in my LP a while back and it seemed great but it did seem on the vintage side. The big difference I noticed from the Custom was that the Custom seemed more focused, harder, thikcer and denser midrange. I had to trun the mids up more on my amp with the C-5. But, it did let the natural tone come through.

Comment

I have never tried the custom, only the custom custom and a few others. The c5 is my favorite. I had it in a schecter and loved it. I just put it in a les paul classic and I wonder if it has too much oomph. I still love the pickup and can turm the bass down if needed.
                  My bands links:

PEDL
                  www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
                  www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
                  www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
                    I have never tried the custom, only the custom custom and a few others. The c5 is my favorite. I had it in a schecter and loved it. I just put it in a les paul classic and I wonder if it has too much oomph. I still love the pickup and can turm the bass down if needed.
                    I never found it or any of my pickups to have too much oomph in a gig situation assuming I tweaked the amp for the venue. I have been on gigs using the C-5 where I had to crank the bass on the amp and other times I had to drastically lower the bass. Goes to show you how many variables there are in a playing situation or when it comes to tone.

Comment

I agree with Stevo about the smoother highs. I found the '59 to be considerably brighter than the C5.

Comment

I am going to start by buying a CC and then if that does not work out learn to swap magnets and put in a alnico 5 in that CC.
                        both have me very interested?
                        the regular custom i heard in a guitar at the music store and it sounded harsh?
                        so i am hoping that one of these other two will be a smmother version of the CUSTOM

Comment

Originally posted by johnny5
                          is the C5 really like a 59 with more output and a bit more bass. i have a 59 set in an all korina hamer studio and want a little more uhmf out of the bridge PU. i love the sound of this guitar (clear and articulate with good string separation) but don't really like the lacking bass response. so, the SD description sounds like just what i was looking for.

some folks say the the C5 has a mid scoop. i don't really like that idea. i play most classic rock type tones, from cleanish to dirty rude, NOT looking for a nu meatal machine.

any help would be great.

thanks,

Hey, count me in as one who says the C5 is scooped. Big time.

I found the C5 to be absolutely anemic sounding in the mids. And in the mix with a band, since the mid content is so not there, my guitar sound became this "frothy tinkle" that sparkled above the mix of the rest of the band. The low end was more than covered up by the bass player. And most of those highs where eaten up by the cymbals. The guitar just sounded.....small. That was with a '59n in the neck which souned HUGE by comparasin.

As a matter of fact, when I would switch from the neck to the C5 bridge for a solo (or anything else for that matter), I always got bummed at how weak and wimpy my tone was. And WAAAAAAAAY too bright. The C5 has mucho top end. Too much for my taste in a bridge bucker.

Same guitar ---- put my old JB in there. Night and day. All of a sudden my leads were muscular, singing, and fat. So I know it's not the guitar.

All the mids in the JB add to a more vocal, singing type tone, as apposed to the more hollow '59 C5 thing.

The '59 sounds cool in the neck as that sort of "single coil" type voicing sounds cool there, but not at the bridge for my taste.

Just my 4 cents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                          buggjuice.net
                          MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I wasn't crazy about the C5. I just thought it had too much emphasis in the bass and not enough in the mids. I could understand it having difficulty cutting through a mix.

But with a Custom......
                            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                            Originally posted by Sosomething
                            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I am on the fence and I never had the extreme experience that MAC had had with the C-5. I found it rather vintage and clear but assuming i had enough mids from the guitar and the amp, I was fine. I played two gigs with my C-5 loaded LP and cut pretty good but did notice a drop off with single note runs. I nice and underratted pickup is the Rio grande BBQ. I could use this in most guitars without fail. The Custom is another nice one - very clear, but I find the BBQ to be warmer for my tastes.

Comment

Working...
                              X