P90 dogear to humbucking questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90 dogear to humbucking questions

I have an older Gibson Les Paul Junior reissue. It is from before they started making some of the lesser models, so it is a really nice guitar. It has the dogear type P90's unfortunately, complete with hum. I want to change them but the screws for the cover are so far apart a standard pickup mount won't cover them. I want to maintain the integrity of the guitar; no holes in the front. I am looking for an option to dogears, or a humbucking pickup which I can modify to fit into a dogear cover. I have a woodshop and the ability to do any needed modifications. I am just searching for a tried and true solution to problem that has been around for a long, long time. Oh, one other thing: The solution obviously needs to be with Seymour Duncan pickups; that's why I'm here.

Re: P90 dogear to humbucking questions

Could you machine dogears to add to a P-90 stack?

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, bro! I do beleive that Duncan does make their P-90 stack with the Dog Ear option. Give them a call to be sure though.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

i think the dog ear stack might be a good choice. how old is this thing? if its really old i wouldnt modify it, unless its already messed up. i just saw a '56 lp jr that was going for $3000!!!

Comment

it's a 90's reissue, aint worth that much..

well, you could always do as i did.. rip up your guitar and cut a hole into the cover and fit a humbucker inside
          see my profile picture. i did it before i knew any better.. it used to be a 1 P-90 at the bridge SG Junior

+edit+ just read it more carefully.. 'before they started making their lesser models' that is a LONG way back.. i wouldnt do any drastic changes to it.. and definately keep the original P-90 if you chose to replace it with a duncan
          Last edited by Davey; 09-24-2004, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks, guys. The truth is, I don't want to cut any holes into the guitar. I've owned more than 100 guitars in my lifetime and made all my disgraceful mistakes years ago. I actually had the 59 Gibson that mine is a reissue of. Mine is before Epiphone started making them and Gibson started making lowlines. Yes Davey, this is a very late 80's or an early 90's, and your points are very valid. I did look at your guitar. I've had a few of those. One was white (I destroyed it, too sad to tell) and one had a singlecoil almost Strat pickup that was absolutely factory. My other P90's included a very, very old Epiphone and a Firebird non-reverse.

I checked the Seymour Duncan website and the pickups they offer with dogears are very limited. In my younger days it seems to me that I put a soapbar pickup on a dogear plate and mounted into something. for years I used to have a few of the plates in my parts pile. Perhaps I need to call them as you said. I wouldn't even be doing this if the reissues had used decent P90's. They are not even close. Slopily wound instead of the neat tight wrappings of my old Firebird or the SG Junior.

Comment

from what i can tell.. you could buy a lets say phat cat and took the cover off and fit it under the p-90 cover.

Comment

I have put a p90 stack in my les paul junior without any mods/ cuts
                Simply place some foam / rubber underneath the pick up to bring it to
                the height of the dog ear cover, the long screws on each side screw inside the existing routing and these with the cover hold the pup in place.

Comment

Working...
                X