banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might hate myself for asking this (SH-6 ??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Might hate myself for asking this (SH-6 ??)

i think the sh-6 is great for vintage rock and metal. not PAF or anything. its real crunch tho and can do a lot. I use a 5150, have you tried using the rhythm channel instead of the lead channel? or are you already? I personally would try and get it right with only the amp and not use the Eq..

I would try mag swaps last. some may argue, but I only like the DD with the big ceramic. Ive tried several mags and none have really made it sound pleasing except stock.

I completely understand money and trying to watch spending, but you can buy used pickups cheap on ebay or right here on this forum. You can also sell yours and not really have to spend much money at all, if any. I mean, you are obviously not happy with your pickup and it would be a small investment to get the tone you want.

In my experience, The custom sounds much better through the 5150. The lead channel on the 5150 already has a screaming, cutting biting sound to it. adding the DD to the mix can be too much at times. I personally like it, but I think I like the custom better

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
      SH-6 is an SH-4 with a large ceramic magnet
      No it's not. Similar coils buts thats it.
      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
        If I were you I'd set the pickup a little farther away from the strings than you're used to, and it will do everything you're hoping it will do. You shouldn't have any trouble coaxing classic to modern rock out of that pickup. But if it's too close to the strings, it will scream all the time. If it's still too screamy, then a 250k pot is cheaper than buying a new pickup, and less dangerous surgery than a magnet swap. I would leave it in there and rock out. SH-6 + 5150 is a great combo.
        I set all my ceramic screamers down a bit lower and it really sweetens them up. I roll the volume back and get great classic rock tones from a ddj. But when I roll back to 10 I can still crush anything in my way. Also with the dd and the jb I like to eq the amp bass and mids up, treble and presence back. Just enough highs for articulation and cut and that's it. With my 5150 I stArt with 666 settings and tweak from there

Comment

Working...
        X