banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what PU Billy Duffy(the cult) uses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what PU Billy Duffy(the cult) uses?

the chart doesn't say

Re: Anyone know what PU Billy Duffy(the cult) uses?

I believe he used a JB in a Les Paul for most of the old Cult albums.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I thought he used a Custom in the bridge position of his Les Pauls?

A Custom will certainly do that "Electric" tone!

Comment

Correct me if I'm mistake ( and I'm sure you will), but wasn't he using a Gretsch White Falcon at the time ?
        <----- another experiment in rewiring turns tragic.

Comment

he used a sh-4 JB in his les paul and i think some kind of custom shop pickups in this gretch
          Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
          Suhr OD-50
          Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by DanteG
            Correct me if I'm mistake ( and I'm sure you will), but wasn't he using a Gretsch White Falcon at the time ?
            Veers between White Falcon and Les Paul I believe, so it all depends on which songs we're talking about.

Comment

Im surprised he would use the Custom in the bridge. Seems like it would be too bright and harsh for him

Comment

also seems like the JB is most popular PU. I still don't know what I want in my Les Paul. Was thinking distortion but the JB is all over the place

Comment

Billy Duffy used his White Falcon on the "Dreamtime" & "Love" albums. I saw them live in '86 on the Love tour and he used the White Falcon on every song.

For the next album "Electric" he switched to a Les Paul predominantly but did use the Falcon on some tracks, most noticeably "Love Removal Machine", I don't know what pups he had is is Les Paul but they are open coils. Also, he used a Boss SD-1 super overdrive pedal most of the time during the 85/86 era.

After that his tone went from crunchy overdrive to all out distortion on the "Sonic Temple" album and beyond and I feel he lost some of his tone.

Gazza

Comment

On that song Wildhearted Son.....I can definitely hear some kind of Duncan on there...although not sure what it is.

Comment

I remember reading years ago that Billy used Duncan Customs in his LP and modded Tubescreamers into a Marshall on "Sonic Temple".

In fact, I just reviewed 2 old articles on the Cult where it says he uses Custom Duncans in his LP's (not really specifying that they are Sh5's or just aftermarket pup's). And that on "Electric" he switched from his Vox amps to Marshalls.

In the other article it says he went back to fender and vox amps for cleans and used Mesa's for heavy tone on the "Beyond Good and Evil" album.

I've seen The Cult twice in my time. Once on the "Sonic Temple" tour, where Billy carried guitar duties himself, and 2 yrs ago on the "Music without Fear" tour for the last album where Billy had a backup guitarist.

Both shows ruled.
                      Last edited by Dirtyking; 09-30-2004, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X