Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimarzio Breed

Originally posted by StrykeBack
    hah, and dimarzios' tech guys thought my guitar would be too dark with all the mohogany....Well I really don't want to change the virtual PAF in the neck. I love it. They seem to match well, I might try and raise up the bridge pup just a bit more closer to the strings and see if I can't pick up so more lower end. Will that mess with the sustain at all because ofthe magnets?

And yeah, I had heard about the bbq sets but are those just for country or how much do those go for?
    Country u must be kidding
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Originally posted by guitarshredder
      Dills, what do you think about the Dimarzio Evolution's (Steve Vai), since your signature says that you've used them???
      I think the Evolution is an OUTSTANDING pickup, when put in the RIGHT guitar.

In a JEM, or any other thin guitar, with a thin, bolt-on neck, and and a stainless steel Floyd Rose bridge, it's going to sound annoying.

When I took it out of my Ibanez, and put it in my hardtail Charvel, I was nothing short of stunned. (this was 8 years ago, before I had the valuable input from these forums).

It's only about a 13k wind, which is about medium output. It's clear, tight, and agressive, with great note separation. Unfortunately, I suspect it sounds best in the guitars owned by players who AREN'T LOOKING for the type of sound that an Evolution offers.

Basically, I think it sounds great in a hardtail guitar, especially one without a Floyd. It's not my primary guitar, nor my primary sound, but it's become more than a "stunt" guitar to me. I think it's great. Sort of like a Duncan Custom, but even tighter and more focused.

Putting in a warmer sounding guitar can take the pickup from "annoying" to "open & aggressive", without question.

Comment

After playing my Distortion-equipped Gibby LP Custom and my Breed-equipped Alder bodied, cheapo American Strat, I've come to a startling conclusion...

The Breed in my Strat can go toe-to-toe with the Les Paul at relatively high volume levels!

The Breed-equipped Strat seemingly overpowered a Les Paul while I was jamming with someone... and to my ears, there is only a slight difference between the Strat and the DD-equipped Pauly. That difference came in rhythm guitar - Metallica, Maiden-esque. Leads sounded just as thick and full with the Strat as the Les Paul, if not a little thicker. Just because the specs say the Breed has chopped treble and increased warmth doesn't mean it lacks BITE, especially in the bridge position of a Strat!

Comment

Originally posted by The Don
          The Breed-equipped Strat seemingly overpowered a Les Paul while I was jamming with someone... and to my ears, there is only a slight difference between the Strat and the DD-equipped Pauly. That difference came in rhythm guitar - Metallica, Maiden-esque. Leads sounded just as thick and full with the Strat as the Les Paul, if not a little thicker. Just because the specs say the Breed has chopped treble and increased warmth doesn't mean it lacks BITE, especially in the bridge position of a Strat!
          The breed definelty has alot of bite, even tho the treble is slighlty rolled off I think thats what makes it cut through, especially in the mids.
          PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
          1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
          Blackstar HT-5
          2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
          Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I have a Breed in the bridge my Strat; see picture. Itīs basswood body, Kahler trem and ebony finger board, so itīs not so easy to get right pickups. But I have had the Breed for almost two years now, and have no thoughts to change. Itīs warm and fat and covers everything I need to do in the heavy rock and blues department. It can be split too, so I sometimes use the second single coil (not closest to bridge) for fat country twang.

Comment

bump

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                X