banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage for Broadcaster® too bright...any suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage for Broadcaster® too bright...any suggestion?

Hello there
    I've just finished my selfmade 72 telecaster custom walnut body with a fender wide range humbucker neck and a SD "vintage for broadcaster" single coill bridge, 2 volume 2 tone. The sound of the SD "vintage for broadcaster" it's really too bright and thin and if I turn the on the bright switch of my amp (very nice with the humbucker) it is almost unsuitable even adjusting the tone. I've used a 500 k pot both for the humbecker and single coil. Do you think using a 250 K pot would improve the sound of the singl coil? Is it possible to use 2 differente pot, I mean the 500k for the humbucker pickup and the 250 k for the singl coil? Do I need to change the .022 capacitors too? Any other suggestion?
    thanks a lot and sorry fo my bad english! (I'm from Italy)

Re: Vintage for Broadcaster® too bright...any suggestion?

Originally posted by Musicante
    Do you think using a 250 K pot would improve the sound of the singl coil?
    Yes!

Comment

Yep, change it to a 250k and maybe go with a .047mf cap for the bridge pickup.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

First...change the pots!!!
        Second...that other knob is a tone control...USE IT!!! I never used a tone control in my life, till I got a Tele...you just have to, thats the best advise I can give you.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Ditto.

Use the tone knob. that is exactly what it is used for: To dial out the harsh brightness.

USE THE KNOB BEFORE PUTTING NEW POTS IN. Save your effort...

brdo

Comment

if it is still too bright in a walnut body, try something with alnico2 magnets.
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I got a vintage '54 bridge... That thing is even brighter than the broadcaster. Its so Ice picky and at first i was not happy with it. But now it grew on me and i totally love this guitar through my fender blues junior. Its just so scorching when you play riffs with overdrive on your bridge pickup. You also gotta pick close to the bridge on the lower strings for those great springy bass tones.

I'm using a 0.10 mfd capacitor. Its a very subtle tone control. I did this on purpose - as I wanted the tone control to be useable throughout the pot's full range.
              my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
              A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Use the tone control as said above. The reason is that when you start turning down the tone from 10 it is just like putting a decreasing resistor value across the pickup. The capacitor only has an effect when the pot gets closer to zero. Even if you do decide you want to change the vol. pot, you can get a good idea what it will sound like by using the tone pot.

And your English is great compared to my Italian!

Comment

Working...
                X