Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage blues sound

Hi,

I am building a guitar with 2 humbuckers and I want to get a blues ,vintage rock sound.

I was looking at the Pearly Gates but I would like any advice on what to use in the neck and bridge if possible

Thanks

Greg

Re: Vintage blues sound

GREG,
    welcome,

the Vintage Humbuckers will get you there ...
    I'd say it's a matter of reading through the descriptions here:
    Vintage Humbuckers , then deciding which one to use based on your guitar - whether it's warmer or brighter, and the tone you're aiming for

also consider the Antiquities, since they're vintage specs and hand wound

basically, the pickups with Alnico 5 magnets, like the '59, will be brighter with a tighter bass, and the pickups with Alnico 2 mags, like the AII Pro, will have more sustain with a spongier bass

others will have more suggestions, but that's where I'd start
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Curly steered you right. My personal preference is the Antiquity since it sounds like the original PAFs. (I've always played blues primarily). The Seth Lover is also a good choice. It has a bit more bite to it, but also a nice mid-range "honk".

Jeff
      "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

I'd go with the Antiquities like Curly & Jeff before me said. I have a set in a Les Paul & love 'em. Great pups. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Thanks Curly,Jeff and Darrin for the great info and quick response.

I was going to get them sent down from "Guitar Candy" (www.guitarcandy.com) in NC US ,as I am down in Australia -and we pay big $$$ down here for any type of quality.

I know this is a bit off topic but any suggestions on where to get them from or if you know of Guitar Candy -are they OK service and price wise??

I loved your site Curly.Some good blues guitar info on there too.

Thanks again for your help

Greg ( Australia)

PS-I will let you's know how this Guitar ends up.

Comment

antiquitys, 59's, seth lovers, or pearly gates. any of them wil work fine and sound great, just depends on what flavor you like

Comment

Originally posted by GREGMW
              I know this is a bit off topic but any suggestions on where to get them from or if you know of Guitar Candy -are they OK service and price wise??
              Greg,
              I'm not familiar with this store, but their prices are competitive

quite a few people here order from Blackrose and Lewsguitars, who are both on the forum

there are also a few members here from your area - Hot Grits, Young Angus, and others - who may have suggestions on good dealers
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

I love the Pearly Gates set in my LP, but the Seth's were mighty fine in my Sheraton.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks again Curley,

I contacted Blackrose (from the link on your site) so I will probably end up getting the Pearly Gates from them

I just have to check on warranty,customs etc.

Thanks again for your info

Regards
                  Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X