banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup screw hole stripped - suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickup screw hole stripped - suggestions?

I couldn't do larger screws because I'm using metal rings.

Anyway, I went to the hardware store with my screws and found little tiny nuts that fit - $0.25 each.

I tried to glue them in, but there is a ridge in the baseplate which made it tough to get a good flush fit, so then I tried to solder them in, but the solder wouldn't stick - I imagine the metal used in making the nuts wasn't compatable with the solder.

So, I decided to just put the screws through the ring, with the springs, into the humbucker and then into the nut. I adjusted for the height of the pickup and then installed the ring into the guitar.

It works! In fact, because the nut is hitting against the baseplate (I presume) I was even able to adjust the height up and down... seems to work just fine! I'll let you know if I have any trouble, but I think the easiest solution ended up being the one that worked!

I guess the only issue would be if the nut loosens over time, but I guess I can just re-adjust the screw if it slips.
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

I was wondering (The Dali) his well your method worked and if it worked his long did it stay like that? I have the same problem and I have no idea how to fix it.

Comment

You need brass 3-48 nuts. No pun intended this time. Solder will stick to brass.

I got a bag of 25 from Ebay.

Comment

For future reference I find that little blob of solder with a 2mm hole drilled through solves the problem. use Lead/Tin solder it stays soft enough for the screws to self tap.
          Ibanez RG7620 and RG1527 w/ SD Nazgūl/Sentient pickups.
          Ibanez Jem 555 x2 (White Black)
          Epiphone Custom Alpine White
          Epiphone LP standard with SD Alnico Slash Pickup
          Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom
          PRS SE Paul Allender
          Peavey 5150II

Www.soundcloud.com/fyregods singer and drummer wanted.

Comment

Put the screw through the hole and run a bead of solder all the way around it. It will stick to the baseplate, but not the screw. Unscrew it and you now have a threaded hole. I keep a small supply of the brass nuts that LReese mentioned though. Local hardware store stocks them.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Comment

Occasionally, I have found screws from lower end guitars that are bigger than standard pickup screws and will not fit into the screw holes on Duncan/Dimarzio pickups. If you could find a couple of those and re thread the holes..

Comment

Originally posted by LReese View Post
                You need brass 3-48 nuts. No pun intended this time. Solder will stick to brass.

I got a bag of 25 from Ebay.
                Thanks. I actually got that assortment. Might come in handy. If somebody needs 1 or 2 pm me.

Comment

Working...
                X