59 trembucker w/ ceramic magnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 trembucker w/ ceramic magnet

when i broke my sh-5 custom i took the ceramic magnet out of it and put it in my 59 trembucker i had laying around. so, since i had to take my super distortion out of my model 1 to put into my san dimas charvel i decided to put the 59 in the model 1.
    many people had said that it would be very harsh with the ceramic magnet. thats not the case at all!! it seemed that with the new magnet it gave it some added upper and lower mids. gave it a more crunchy tone, less vintage if you will.
    it's not harsh at all, even in the model 1 which is a 1 humbucker, 1 volume, no tone guitar. it balances out very well.

i'll record some clips soon to show you all this thing. it sounds great, especially at 80's metal. i bet it'd sound terrific in the neck spot.

Re: 59 trembucker w/ ceramic magnet

it all depends on what your rig is and how you like your tone. ive heard people get great tone with a jb with a ceramic magnet too and my first reaction is "that might be too bright" but if it works then who cares. magnets work differently with different winds of wire

Comment

The JB sounds great with the ceramic magnet from a Custom... kinda like a tamer Duncan Distortion!
      GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Why wouldn't a JB with a ceramic sound good? Like Bach said it's basically a tamer DD. I also love my JB ceramic in the bridge of my Les Paul clone. The normal JB sounded like crap with a capital C! The JB ceramic basically give it more balls and smooths out the weird mid spike.

Comment

I also took the ceramic from my custom for the JB. I turbed the Custom into a Custom 5 (with the Alnico 5 from the JB). I initially did the swap due to the rave reviews of the Custom 5, expecting the JB ceramic to be a dud, but I actually prefer it to the Custom 5. GO figure...
          Last edited by Fusion1; 10-08-2004, 06:09 PM.

Comment

how would the JB w/ ceramic be a tamer DD? isn't more output than the DD

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock
              The JB sounds great with the ceramic magnet from a Custom... kinda like a tamer Duncan Distortion!
              Did you need to do anything special to fit the smaller Custom ceramic magnet in the Distortion? I've heard that because the Distortion magnet is so much larger, one would need spacers to get it bolted together.
              My Gear:
              Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
              Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
              Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
              TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Rebel
                Did you need to do anything special to fit the smaller Custom ceramic magnet in the Distortion? I've heard that because the Distortion magnet is so much larger, one would need spacers to get it bolted together.
                You misunderstood me. I used the ceramic magnet from a Custom and put it into a JB. I know the Duncan Distortion uses 3 magnets, but the JB with the ceramic is a close approximation to a DD in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                  You misunderstood me. I used the ceramic magnet from a Custom and put it into a JB. I know the Duncan Distortion uses 3 magnets, but the JB with the ceramic is a close approximation to a DD in my opinion.
                  Sorry about that. Dunno what I was thinking. I've been trying to find as much info about magnet and pole screw swapping as possible for a future pickup purchase of either a Custom, JB, or Distortion. Thanks for the info.
                  My Gear:
                  Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
                  Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
                  Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
                  TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

Working...
                  X