banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone NOT like Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Anyone NOT like Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors?

Makes sense a shot out of 5 mins providing different drugs to same individual?. What would you discover in those 5 first mins of each drug test?
    I don't know, but I think we're going to make that guy really sick...

if I were trying to make a recommendation (concerning very expensive caps) to everyone who may read this forum, or if I were going to start producing a bunch of guitars, I'd want to have a more scientific answer.
    - I wasn't saying that YOU were saying that ^ it was just an example. This thread has become somewhat of a discussion about whether & how different types of caps sound different.
    - I certainly hope the OP figured out his issue long ago..

I didn't really think you were trying to MAKE people use PIOs :
    "Buy them or else!"

I'm just fascinated by the topic, & by this type of topic; ( @ What bit-rate do we encode mp3s, can we hear things on a vinyl record we can't hear on CD? does a $10,000.00 stereo really sound better than a $2,000.00 one? only to some people? how many people? etc. )

I also find it interesting that sometimes when people claim to perceive something that "science" or engineering suggests shouldn't be there, we are often able to measure it later with better methods.
    - "OK, I guess those people weren't crazy..."
    - then again we can also perceive some things wrongly..

- I'm not planning on designing a large scale study anytime soon..

- From my own limited experiments, & from listening to the Youtube video, I don't think that I personally can tell a difference.
    - Therefore in future projects I will use caps that I find most available, affordable, & easiest to work with.
    Last edited by matt239; 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico
      You know that most of the science is based on axiomes (whose are act of faith).
      Sorry, but that's downright wrong. Science is based on observation, testing, hypotheses and evidence.

Axioms are proven to be true, and exist only in pure mathematics and certain branches of logic.
      The police shall receive NO sandwiches!

Comment

No, axioms are proven true.

You may be using the word "axiom" to describe something that's not an axiom.
        The police shall receive NO sandwiches!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporky McGuffin View Post
          No, axioms are proven true.

You may be using the word "axiom" to describe something that's not an axiom.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

has anyone seen this? listen to all the clips then click to find out what cap was used.
            our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
            'Cause all the girls are sluts,
            And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

I prefer them harvested in the full moons light!!
              Adds to the voodoo mojo juu juu

Comment

took the test
                couldn't discern a measurable difference

while some may have sounded different as in the extra note in clip2 of the first section
                nothing worth noting

Herm has better ears than mine
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by jake_xms3_punk View Post
                  has anyone seen this? listen to all the clips then click to find out what cap was used.
                  Man, thanks for posting that. I did hear differences, and luckily enough, I liked what I had anyway (although I was intrigued by the Russian caps.
                  "Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised."
                  - Marilyn Manson

Comment

working in factories for 30 years
                    no high freq left
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Where can I get thoese russian caps?

Found them!
                      Last edited by RMS09; 04-26-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Dammit, I read what Hermetico thought of each cap, and now I can't help being influenced by that. So it's not a blind test any more for me.

Anyway, I can notice differences in some of the clips, but they are small enough that they could probably be explained by differences in the tolerances of the different capacitors: eg some are not exactly the stated 0.022uF.

Also, the the differences in the playing could be clouding the issue; it is impossible for a human to get exactly the same pick attack and strength etc for each clip, and this could have a noticeable effect, and if the tester (the guy playing/recording the clips) knows which cap he is using, this could influence his opinion, and have a subtle effect on his playing.

The only way to make the test truly objective would be to either have a machine that can pick the strings with exactly the same force, speed and angle time after time, or somehow wire up the guitar with multiple outputs, with one cap on each output and record all the caps at the same time in one take.

Edit: Also, because you know all the clips are recorded with different caps, you are expecting/hoping to hear a difference. So the experiment should be done where some of the clips actually use the same caps - so if you think you can hear a difference there it's obviously something other than the cap causing it.

Another edit: Just goes to show that one man's 'harsh' is another man's 'bright.' I actually liked 7 best in both clean rhythm and distorted.
                        Last edited by Jeremiah; 04-27-2010, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Just to clarify:

I didn't say I couldn't hear a difference, I said I can hear a difference, but I'm not convinced that it's caused only by the type of cap rather than some of the other possible factors.

Edit: to clarify even further: If someone played the same clip 8 times with the same capacitor, there would be differences. Which might (or might not) be bigger than the differences caused by the capacitors, depending on how consistent the guitarist was able to be with his playing.
                          Last edited by Jeremiah; 04-27-2010, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Wait this test is in different guitars?

Can somebody re-post the link everybody is talking about?

Comment

i think this is one for the

Comment

Wait this test is in different guitars?
                                no its all done on the same guitar with the same amp and same settings on everything all round.

Comment

Working...
                                X