Pickup Choice for my '58 Reissue LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickup Choice for my '58 Reissue LP

I like to push the amps a little, so my Pauls are setup with nickel covered Custom 5/59 and Custom Custom/Seth Lover. I'd say the C-5/59 is the most versatile high output humbucker combo, since the C-5 is like a tight bottomed and hot 59B. The note clarity is great on clean, midgain, and highgain.
    The CC/Seth in my Prem Plus honeyflame is pure Kossoff to Billy Duffy and will make your hair stand up on your neck through the Bogner.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I know I'm late on this one, but I'm going to plug the Alnico II Pro's. For an even better option on them, order them from the custom shop, and have MJ wind them like she does for Slash. Scatter wound on Antiquity hardware.

That's what will go into my LP when I buy it.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

i was gonna say alnico 2 pro neck and JB bridge for the tones you say you like

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I appreciate all the advice. Like I said, I hope I like the PG's. If not, I'll experiment with some more. I like messing with pickups...

Comment

Jason Lollar's Imperial Humbuckers. Compared to my Tims, they don't have the overly-aggressive top end, have more clarity, and are much more complex and musical. The Imperials have a wonderful airy quality about them, that reminds me of Ants. They have that sizzle that surrounds every note. I have a set in a '02 R8. 500k audio tapers, 50's wiring. I have a .015 cap in the neck and believe me...there is no mud, only clear, round, beautiful LP tone. They articulate everything with great detail. The bridge gets magical for me at a tone setting of around 6. Fat, punchy, with plenty of woody tone. Big sound. I'm going to work with my Tims a little more (heck it took 14 months to get them), but I'm not overly optimistic that they are going to do it for me. I may sell them and try a set of Holmes. I find it hard to believe that I'll like anything more than the Lollars tho.

Comment

Tweed,

Cool Bro! 14 months eh? WTF! When I was getting mine the waiting period was like 3 weeks at most. But then again he stopped winding them for the summer of 03. Then the insane waiting periods...

You can sell them, and you'd be able to get yourself a set of Holmes for sure. You might also wanna look into Rolphs, his prices aren't as high as many think! I cannot disclose it honoring his wish tho. And the waiting period is virtually nothing. And he makes great pickups.

But still if I were you I'd keep those timbuckers, just in case you get a darker LP. As I said above mine did not work in my R7 which is quite bright and alive. Tim's was blooming screaming too much. But on my R8 and 95LPstandard I would not trade them for anything. Still on the 95 LP I like going back and forth between tim's and the a5/a3 modded ants.

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
                what kind of amps are you playing?
                I do the web design and some artist relations for O'Brien Amps. Here is the model I play:

O'Brien Amps 4x10

Comment

I'M a bit late... but another vote for the Seths...
                  Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

The 58 RI is a nice guitar. I've got a Heritage 150 (jazzn and A2P B) and with the exception of the deep neck tenon it is very similiar in the old school construction techniques (even made in the old factory). Man I'm a believer in the A2 Pros. The bridge pup is so soooo smooth and sweet it's ridiculous. Turn up the tone knob on it and you get nice crunch. I was thinking of picking up a used 58 RI from the guy I got my Z from. He had antiquities and it SMOKED! Hi-gain or low it sounded great. The neck just wasn't my favorite still. It still seemed too fat for me. The PG's are nice as well just a different flavor of the paf tone.

Luke
                    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernShred
                      I do the web design and some artist relations for O'Brien Amps. Here is the model I play:

O'Brien Amps 4x10

nice
                      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
                        Tweed,

Cool Bro! 14 months eh? WTF! When I was getting mine the waiting period was like 3 weeks at most. But then again he stopped winding them for the summer of 03. Then the insane waiting periods...

You can sell them, and you'd be able to get yourself a set of Holmes for sure. You might also wanna look into Rolphs, his prices aren't as high as many think! I cannot disclose it honoring his wish tho. And the waiting period is virtually nothing. And he makes great pickups.

But still if I were you I'd keep those timbuckers, just in case you get a darker LP. As I said above mine did not work in my R7 which is quite bright and alive. Tim's was blooming screaming too much. But on my R8 and 95LPstandard I would not trade them for anything. Still on the 95 LP I like going back and forth between tim's and the a5/a3 modded ants.

B

Yeah, that's a long wait. I put my Tims in a R7 that is bit on the shy side. It's wired the same as my R8. It woke the guitar up, but not in a way that I cared for. But I'd like to spend more time tweaking them and see what they do. I'll be back home tomorrow. I'll try them in my R8 as well. Now that guitar has a big, aggressive sound. Very responsive. I have a feeling that the Tims are just going to be over the top in that guitar, but you never know with these things. The Lollars just kill in that guitar. I've played one set of Rolph's in a friend's LP and thought they sounded pretty nice. I've talked with Jim, he's a great guy and his prices are fine as far as I'm concerned. Tom Holmes lives just down the road from me, and told me I could call him when I returned home. I'd like to go visit, see his shop and maybe twist his arm to let me borrow a few sets to try out for a few days. That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Comment

I agree on the Burstbuckers. If you want SD's (and that's a good choice, too) and you like Jeff Beck's tone, dump a JB in the bridge and a 59 or a Jazz in front.
                          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Hey all, I got the Pearly Gates' from Lew and dropped them in yesterday (along with a set of RS Guitarworks aged nickel covers & premium wiring kit) and I'm really happy so far. I'll get to hear them at volume at rehearsal tomorrow. More then...

Lew, did you get out to see Scott Holt?

Comment

Working...
                            X