So Who Here Has Tryed The A4 Magnets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Who Here Has Tryed The A4 Magnets?

I bought one from Lew(Gypsy Blue) but I've been so busy doing pedal mods for others,that I haven't had a chance to try the A4 magnet out in any of my Duncan pickups...Maybe someone that has could give us all some comparisons between say the A2 and an A5 magnet in any given pickup? This would be great...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Doc Barlo buddy,where are you on this one buddy?
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I swapped the PGn with an A5 with an A4. Too me, the A4 made it sound a lot like the standard A2 PGn. Having said that, I should probably swap out the A4 for an A2 to really see how different the A4 is from the A2, rather than going from memory.

When I have the time, I'm also going to try swapping the A2 out of my CC with an A4 (the key there is: when I have the time). I'll make some clips when I do.
      This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by MattPete
        I swapped the PGn with an A5 with an A4. Too me, the A4 made it sound a lot like the standard A2 PGn. Having said that, I should probably swap out the A4 for an A2 to really see how different the A4 is from the A2, rather than going from memory.

When I have the time, I'm also going to try swapping the A2 out of my CC with an A4 (the key there is: when I have the time). I'll make some clips when I do.
        Thanks Matt for the reply...I'm surprised the A4 sounded more like an A2 to you? You'd think the A2 and A3 would be close in tone and that the A4 and A5 would be brighter and tighter and sound similar? See that's what I was wondering..I have A2,A3,A4,and A5 but just haven't had the time to try the A4 out..Thanks again.

John

Comment

hopefully the Doc will throw a PG4 clip in the soundclip section when he gets his 4s. I'm really interested in hearing these too. I've heard people say they sound like 2s and I've heard people say they sound like 5s so I don't know WHO to beleive.
          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
          Originally posted by Sosomething
          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Keep in mind I was comparing the PGn A4 with my *memory* of what the PGn sounded like with it's original A2. The A5 and A4 test was back-to-back. There was a big difference, with the A4 having a thick mid-tone, much like the original A2 PGn (I wasn't going for that thick middy tone, which I what cause me to instal the A5 in the first place).

As for A2, A3, A4, A5 -- remember, that those are just names. They have nothing to do with the magnet properites, and from I can tell, were derived from the order in which they were invented by metalurgists. I think the the fact that an A3 sounds somewhere between an A2 and an A5, with it leaning towards an A2, is just lucky coincidence.

If strength has any relationship to tone, then (from what I remember) the magnets would be ordered like this (I think):

A4
            A3
            A2
            A5

But, people think A3 is brighter than A2...so who knows?

If
            This machine kills fascists

Comment

Guys what's up!

Sure as promised I am gonna be doing a C2-3-4-5 clip test. Still I am abroad, either in London UK or Istanbul Turkey. But I am gonna be returning like next month to my sweet home Minneapolis, but I hope the white ****e would disappear by then.

Anyway, here is a couple of responses to the issue that you guys are talking. Alnico 2-5 magnets are not classified by their magnetic properties, but by the composition of the magnet's ingredients (and a certain cooling process). Over in the LP forum Tim White (he is the Tim behind the Timbuckers!) responded with this great input.

It is a great thread be sure to check it out. Tim actually even gave a table containing the mix for each alnico grade.

BTW MacLeod is the guy winding the WolfeTone pickups.

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

And another thing: Form that table it looks like a3 and a4 would sound awefully similar. But they do have differences in terms of magnetic pull, a4 being stronger. And again from the same table a4 and a5 are quite different in their composition.

How cool is that!

I can't wait to try them a4's in my CC, and my new 8.72K (that I am getting from John-Blackrose) d/c antiquity bridge and 7.72K neck pickups!
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

very interesting read.. you learn something new each day =)
                  so an A4 pup should be very diferent from the rest.. i'd like to really hear a comparison bethween the C5 and C4

Comment

I Love the C5. It is perfect in 2 guitars, but seemed too dark and with a loss of clarity in my explorer. I tried the A4 and it is perfect for that guitar. I dont find it any brighter. To my ears, the eq curve is flatter than the C5, and the edges are rolled off on both the high and low.
                    Ex: C5 123456789
                    C4 2345678

Similar, just alittle off the ends and the clarity is great.
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                    X