Wiring humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring humbuckers

Ok, i finally joined the Duncan community (bought a 59 neck - 4 conductor and JB - from the trading post on this site). Basically, i was told how to wire, thought it was all ok, then went to do it, and got lost in the wires. So i was hoping that one of you ppl could take me through it step by step (I NO YOU PROBABLY ARE ASKED TO DO THIS ALL THE TIME). Ok, i have the pickups in front of me. The JB bridge has 5 wires, a red and white spun together, a green, a black and a silver.
    The 59 has the same, but the green and silver seemed to be soldered togethter.
    Pls could someone tell me what i do with each wire?!?

Cheers
    Doogz
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
    Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
    Korg AX1500G multi-fx
    RAT
    Boss PH-1r
    Ibanez cf-7
    Ibanwz ts-7
    Danelectro tremolo
    Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Re: Wiring humbuckers

Originally posted by Dooogz
    Ok, i finally joined the Duncan community (bought a 59 neck - 4 conductor and JB - from the trading post on this site). Basically, i was told how to wire, thought it was all ok, then went to do it, and got lost in the wires. So i was hoping that one of you ppl could take me through it step by step (I NO YOU PROBABLY ARE ASKED TO DO THIS ALL THE TIME). Ok, i have the pickups in front of me. The JB bridge has 5 wires, a red and white spun together, a green, a black and a silver.
    The 59 has the same, but the green and silver seemed to be soldered togethter.
    Pls could someone tell me what i do with each wire?!?

Cheers
    Doogz
    The red and white should be soldered together and taped. The green and bare should be soldered together and then soldered to the ground. (in my Epi the ground is on the back of my volume pot) The black should be soldered to the volume pot via that little nub thing (rofl techincal ain't I?) Take a look at the schematics on the site, they're really good at showing you what to do. Hope that helps, I'm not at profecient as some folks here, but I just did my two pups in my epi lp so its kind of fresh in my mind.

Comment

Hi Doogz; we don't mind answering these all the time.

To start with the simplest configuration:

The green is generally used for ground, and the silver, (bare) is shield, so those two can always go together, and then to ground.
      The red and white go together, and then taped, or insulated, for a "normal"
      humbucker setup.
      Black then, becomes the "hot", or output wire to go to your 3-way, or 5-way switch.

When you get a chance, look over the SD schematics for more options, or ask here. We're always happy to help out.

(Heh - Jeff beat me to it.)

Comment

cheers, i think im getting it, will try it 2morrow, im also using an epi lp, so should be good. Ill tell you all how it goes!
        Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
        Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
        Korg AX1500G multi-fx
        RAT
        Boss PH-1r
        Ibanez cf-7
        Ibanwz ts-7
        Danelectro tremolo
        Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Comment

Working...
        X