fender custom shop 69 strat pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender custom shop 69 strat pickups

i was thinking of getting some fender custom shop 69 strat pickups for my mexican standard strat. its a good guitar overall but i got rid of the stock pickups along time ago and am looking to put in some nice pickups. i love playing hendrix, chilli peppers, clapton, and stuff with my strat. i wanted to know if you guys recommend these pickups, or if there are some seymour duncans and that sound better and have a more late 60's kind of tone. thanx

Re: fender custom shop 69 strat pickups

I had a set of Custom shop 69's on my 70's reissue strat. With the combination of the ash body and maple neck, they were very thin and wouldn't push the amp at all. With a alder body and rosewood neck, they might of sounded a little better. But, IMO, the Dimarzio virtual vintage pickups are the absolut BEST replacement for strats. I have some and their awesome. Their noisless, fuller, and push the amp better than anything Fender puts out. Plus they come in a few different kinds, vintage, blues, and heavy blues. They also make stacked humbuckers that look exactly like strat pickups, but sound more like a single coil than a bucker. They are the HS2 and HS3. Check them out.

Comment

I have a 69 set in a lefty Strat and I really like them. No they don't push the front end of an amp but they are a lower output pickup ~5.6k range,great for Jimi tones IMO. I wouldn't mind a slighlty hotter bridge but I have enough "Hot" pickups in other guitars so it's not much of an issue. The neck and mid are very full sounding, easily my favorite pups I have found for those positions.
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

i have a pair of virtual2's that i like more than the rest of the vv series, a little warmer and cleaner but good pups none the less.

for those things you mentioned i think of a brighter strat type sound and i think those 69 pups might be a good choice for you.

hey marty, you live in albany. so do i. where you at brother?

Comment

Both Jimi and John use stock Fender pups from the 60's in their strats, as did Eric up until Blackie stoped touring! If I were you and I wanted Fender pups I would go with the CS 69's If I was going to go Duncan I would get SSL-1's...ther will be a bit stronger that the Fender pups but by no means a High Ouput pickup. I for one don't care for DiMarzio pups, I have a set of Blue Velvet Strat pups and they are...at best OK...not great! The VV series are noiseless, and there for do not sound like a true single coil will...they are close but not perfect, even the Fender Noiseless don't sound like a true single coil to me. Good luck. Also sheck out the thread by Lewguitar on the perfect Strat tone...it was tons of help to me!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
            i have a pair of virtual2's that i like more than the rest of the vv series, a little warmer and cleaner but good pups none the less.
            I've been think about the virtuAL 2 neck model, you have a pair but which model?, I really just want a strat that has everything hendrix's pups had except a little more when distorted, I could go on but, what do you think of yours.
            Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
            JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
            Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
            Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
            Dunlop Classic Crybaby
            Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Comment

I like my blue velvets, but like I said before, need a little less glass wen distorted. I think the CS 69 would make fine neck/mid pups, but I don't like strat bridge pos. espescially somethin under 6k, make your ears bleed and next thing you know your going "what?, huh, man!, dude I can't hear you"
              Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

i have the middle model in the neck and the bridge in the bridge (no middle pup) and i get some great sounds. the bridge is nice with good bite without being overly shrill.
                i dont think any single sized bucker nails vintage strat tone, but thats what i have sinlge coils for.

Comment

*this is in resposne to brinton*

you need the twangbanger ...... sounds like a warm strat bridge/tele clean.........and almost like a les paul when dirty...... hey jimmy page used a tele on the first album, and i swear my strat was nailin that sound at bandpractice yesterday, all with the Twangbanger bridge pickup......... greatest pickup ever made!

as for the cs69s, i find them a little too underpowered for my liking
                  http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                  >cord<
                  1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I really like the Fender Fat 50's pickups myself. I know Jimi used 60's pickups, but the Fat 50's sound AWESOME under gain. Great cleans are easy with a good amp. The bridge is a little icepicky, but isn't nearly as mismatched as are, say, Texas Specials, IMO. Also, I've not used them, but I've heard a lot of good things about the SD Antiquity line.

Farkus
                    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

If you want a good vintage sounding set with a hotter bridge pickup but don't want to spend a lot of money on it, I'd go with the APS's and Twangbanger combo, or the SSL-1's with a Custom Staggered at the bridge.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

My favorite strat pickups are Fat 50's and Duncan Ant Surfers.
                        Fat 50's has a GREAT neck pickup. With FF, think Stevie Ray
                        With Surfers, think Hendrix.
                        The Fat 50's handle higher gain better IMO.
                        The 69's are good, but a little icey, to me.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I still haven't bought new pickups to replace my velvets, I actually want something with less output now, like the '69's I just want bouncy alnico 5 strat tone I don't have any problems getting my amp to give, I don't rely on my humbucker guitar for distorted tones now thatI biased my amp.
                          Where the hell did this thread come from anyway it's like ancient history.

Man, I haven't been here in a while, been so into my music and gear, everyday wake up, call people, beg family members for rides, practice, download new music. man I'm so into it, and out of everything else. I can't tell you one news headline or anything like that man.
                          Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

Working...
                          X