Pup advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pup advice needed

I'm upgrading my son's Washburn Bt. He's 13 with pretty big chops, but he doesn't know how he wants to sound yet. With his buddes, he plays Green Day, Beatles. With me he's playing some Honkey Tonk, Reggae. I like to call it Western Ska. I'm a keyboard guy and don't know from tone. From the descriptions I'm reading at the SD site, I'm thinking JB Jr bridge, Duckbucker mid, and lil 59 at the neck. What do you think?

Re: Pup advice needed

Hi and welcome!

It's pretty difficult to recommend it since you're more of a keyboard guy. What we usually do is find out what woods are used to on the guitar, you see each wood respresents a bit of determined tone. You've been pretty clear about the styles your son is playing though.

I'd say get a JB Jr for the bridge if you want: Brightness and singing tone with reasonable clean ups and excellent harmonic overtones
    Lil' '59 mid: If you want slightly less output and more warmth, with a little agressive side. Very good clean ups
    Duckbucker neck: For excellent clean ups, very low output which could lead to a singing tone with the gain turned back, and a clear but too articulate sound under high gain

I believe the Duckbucker cleans up better than the lil 59, so it'll sound great in the neck spot
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Working...
    X