Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Gibson SG sound HUGE!

Hey there!!!

Title says it all! I like SG's, but I'd like to make mine sound a bit bigger, fuller, especially while on the bridge pickup. 498T doesn't do it to me.

I already settled on a neck '59, no hesitation.

I'm divided between the SH-5 Custom or Sh-14. I still want my guitar to sound Gibson-like, if makes sense. No 16/18 kohms pickups. For that purpose, sh-5 and sh-14 seem spot on.

Anybody with those pickups in their SG's? Do I aim right for wnat I need?

Cheers

Re: Making a Gibson SG sound HUGE!

Oh and by the way, sorry for not seeing the almost similar topic under mine!!!

Any thoughts, though?

Comment

I can't seem to jive with anything but P-90 equipped SGs. It just seems like that pickup design / guitar model were made for each other.

A chrome-covered 59 neck and one of those Harmonic Design Z-90s in the bridge would sound pretty awesome...
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

You could always turn your SG into an LP.

But at any rate, a Custom Custom (sh-11) is a nice fat bridge pickup that can make any thin guitar sound fat in the bridge (it's too fat for Les Pauls).

Don't know much about your playing style. If you like nu-punk, grab an Invader for a Tom Delonge sound.

59n is a great neck pupper by the way.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
          I can't seem to jive with anything but P-90 equipped SGs. It just seems like that pickup design / guitar model were made for each other.
          Yep, a P90-loaded SG tuned down to C#, through a Laney amp set on stun, equals
          "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

I have a SH-14 (Custom 5) in mine. I'd stick with this 'cause the alnico V seems more "gibson like" than ceramic magnet to me... You would no regret.

Comment

Originally posted by jafo View Post
              Yep, a P90-loaded SG tuned down to C#, through a Laney amp set on stun, equals
              Or a P-90 SG tuned to Eb through an Orange amp set on.. uh.. SUPER stun!

Yeah!
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

C5 for mine, love it! '57 classic with an A4 in the neck.

Comment

I have a few SG's, and faced the same dilema. I want a big-sounding SG. I use an A8 magnet in a 498T & a C5, and that does it. Lots of full mids, tight low end, & enough treble to cut thru. It's large on all parts of the EQ spectrum. Try an A8 in that 498T; you'll be surprised (a C5 isn't radically different).
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Some really good suggestions so far. I've got the C8 in the bridge of my SG and it sounds absolutely HUGE. I've also got a P-90 in the middle (it's a SG Custom) which sounds great. I love P-90s as already suggested, but you can't go wrong with the Custom8. As blueman said, the 498T with an A8 has got to also be terrific.

If I were you, I'd try blueman's suggestion to put an A8 into your 498T. It only takes a minute and about $8 for the mag. If you find that that just doesn't do it for you, try the SH-5 (Custom with ceramic mag). Then try putting the A8 into it, making it a C8. I wouldn't mess with the other Custom models, I don't think they're what you're after.

But try the 498T8 first.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have a BroBucker in the bridge and a Dimarzio VPAF in the neck of mine...Don't like my pickups to stray too far away from a PAF type wind..
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                        Or a P-90 SG tuned to Eb through an Orange amp set on.. uh.. SUPER stun!

Yeah!
                        +1 for Eb <3
                        "Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

Comment

I've had a JB in my SG for a very long time and it's staying there. More full and fluid in the upper mids than a 498T and very punchy. Please don't dismiss the idea. There's a reason it's such a popular pickup and why so many high end guitars have it as standard.

Comment

^ is that why so many are for sale on the used forums?
                            Guitars:
                            2017 Epiphone dot
                            2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
                            2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
                            (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Comment

There are so many for sale because so many are purchased.
                              -=The Dali
                              --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Working...
                              X