PATB-3...NON trem spacing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PATB-3...NON trem spacing???

Can I get a PATB-3 spaced for a gibson? How do these pickups sound? Anybody ever try one with an A2 magnet?

Thanks
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: PATB-3...NON trem spacing???

Before you worry about tremspacing, measure the string spread on your Gibson with a ruler. I think Gibson bridges are wider than they used to be, and just might find the the spacing is OK.
    This machine kills fascists

Comment

You could get a standard spaced model, but you'd have to go through the custom shop. Never tried one with an A2 magnet, as they sound amazing with an A5. The Blues Trembucker is my favorite pickup in the Duncan lineup.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

not meaning to hijack but on the subject of trembuckers wat do guys think of the distortion trembucker? Wat is it suitable for? is it versatile?

Comment

Dodger, the Distortion is a great pickup...I have one in a single bucker superstrat type thing. I really dolike that pickup...normaly I go for vintage pups...This was in a guitar when I bought it and I must say...it kicks as*!

rspst14,
          What can yo tell me bout the pup...I looked at the tone chart and it seems to have a tad more output that a 59 and seems like it would be a little bit darker that a 59...what do you think?
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

rspst14,
            What can yo tell me bout the pup...I looked at the tone chart and it seems to have a tad more output that a 59 and seems like it would be a little bit darker that a 59...what do you think?
            That sums it up pretty well. It does have a tiny bit more output than a PAF style pickup, I would say it's on the low end of the medium output spectrum. It has more midrange than a '59, Demon, or C5, so the tone is a little warmer. It also has a little less bass and treble than the '59. I had one in my Wolfgang for a while, I only took it out because I'm eventually planning on trying it in a different guitar. It's basically the perfect bridge pickup for me, I even contacted the custom shop about getting a standard spaced, standard polepiece version with a nickel cover so that I could use it in my Hamer. I decided to stick with the Rio Grande BBQ for now, but I do have an extra pickup lying around, and MJ said she could rewind it to Blues Trembucker specs for $75, so I may try that.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger
              not meaning to hijack but on the subject of trembuckers wat do guys think of the distortion trembucker? Wat is it suitable for? is it versatile?
              To clarify: The "classic" Duncan Distortion TB-6 or the Parallel Axis Duncan Distortion PATB-2b?
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
                Can I get a PATB-3 spaced for a gibson? How do these pickups sound? Anybody ever try one with an A2 magnet?

Thanks
                I just had a JB with trem spacing installed on my LP and there was no problem (sounds great too)

Comment

Originally posted by MattPete
                  Before you worry about tremspacing, measure the string spread on your Gibson with a ruler. I think Gibson bridges are wider than they used to be, and just might find the the spacing is OK.
                  very good advice!

all the newer gibsons that have a 500T pup or a 498T or even the 490T all are tremspaced at 53mm same as duncans trembuckers.

Comment

I'd like to add that the PATB-3 has very nice PAFish tone to it. I think it'd be a nice match with a Gibson. Sounds good clean or distorted. Warm and even sounding. I have 3 of these pickups and I couldn't be happier with the tone. My favorite Duncan humbucker by far.
                    Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
                    www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                      To clarify: The "classic" Duncan Distortion TB-6 or the Parallel Axis Duncan Distortion PATB-2b?
                      Sorry for not being more specific the pickup im talking about is the Parallel Axis PATB-2b, Its looks and description and the fact that not many people seem to use it has gained my interest and i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything bout this pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by Shnook
                        I'd like to add that the PATB-3 has very nice PAFish tone to it. I think it'd be a nice match with a Gibson. Sounds good clean or distorted. Warm and even sounding. I have 3 of these pickups and I couldn't be happier with the tone. My favorite Duncan humbucker by far.
                        I used the tone wizard on the duncan site and was recomended this one for a kramer guitar to play metal?

Comment

Originally posted by SABOTAGE
                          I used the tone wizard on the duncan site and was recomended this one for a kramer guitar to play metal?
                          That's scary! Although I guess you could use it for metal as long as you had a high gain amp to run through. My experience with it has been more along the lines of a well balanced medium output pup. I've got one in the bridge of a custom made Strat and I use it for cleanish sounding blues tones. It's been the best way I've found to get an Allman Bros type lead tone out of Strat. In a nutshell, it's not something I'd personally pick to play metal. I think the tone wizard has been snorting too much glue.
                          Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
                          www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

with the right amp i think you could do metal, but wouldnt be my first choice. a great pup though.
                            tha patb2 would be a much bettter choice for harder styles

Comment

Working...
                            X