banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan pickup similar to Gibson 490r and 498t frequencies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan pickup similar to Gibson 490r and 498t frequencies?

I like the eq or frequency my Gibson stock pickups have in my 2004 studio but they sound mufled and the 498t sounds a little buzzy or some high noise. The overall vocal character is cool and works in the guitar. Is there a Duncan that is like this but better without the muffled sound and hiss?
    My bands links:

PEDL
    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Re: Duncan pickup similar to Gibson 490r and 498t frequencies?

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
    I like the eq or frequency my Gibson stock pickups have in my 2004 studio but they sound mufled and the 498t sounds a little buzzy or some high noise. The overall vocal character is cool and works in the guitar. Is there a Duncan that is like this but better without the muffled sound and hiss?
    I'd search the site, as there are a few threads on this topic, including this one:

Comment

I was never a big hater of the 498T but I always heard a bit of graininess or buzz in the top end that I always found bothersome. I'm not exactly sure there is a pickup made by SD that mimics the 498T in response but without the top end issue.

On a side note, SD now offers trembucker covers. Weren't you looking for those?
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Thanks, Robert.
        Yes I was wanting a brushed chrome cover if possible. I just tried a custom in this guitar and liked it but prefer the c5 but want to keep the brushed chrome look if possible. I really like the 490 but its a little muffled too. Is this cuz of the covers? Any Duncan similar?

Originally posted by Robert S.
        I was never a big hater of the 498T but I always heard a bit of graininess or buzz in the top end that I always found bothersome. I'm not exactly sure there is a pickup made by SD that mimics the 498T in response but without the top end issue.

On a side note, SD now offers trembucker covers. Weren't you looking for those?
        My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

500k volume pots could be the solution to the muffled sound. They'll give you a brighter and bigger sound. (I'm assuming your 2004 Studio has the stock 300k volumes). CTS 500k audio taper pots are a worthwhile upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
            500k volume pots could be the solution to the muffled sound. They'll give you a brighter and bigger sound. (I'm assuming your 2004 Studio has the stock 300k volumes). CTS 500k audio taper pots are a worthwhile upgrade.

I bought some 500k dimarzio pots and realized they were the shorter stem kind. Is there a way to make these work or do I need the long stem kind specifically for Gibsons?
            My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
              I bought some 500k dimarzio pots and realized they were the shorter stem kind. Is there a way to make these work or do I need the long stem kind specifically for Gibsons?
              If your LP has the pots mounted on a metal plate in the control cavity (and I'm guessing it does if it's a new Studio) you need long shaft pots, unless you are prepared to do away with the plate and mount the pots direct to the wood. I believe Robert_S has done this mod and I undertsand it involves removing some wood from the guitar to get the shafts to exit the top of the guitar at the correct angle. I decided to stick with long shaft pots!

Comment

Rob, you need the long shaft pots for that guitar. I have modded my production LPs for short shaft pots but I like to Jimmy Page wire them and that calls for short shafts.

Anderson Music on Ford Rd., or either of the closer 2 Guitar Centers to us generally have the long shaft Gibby pots in 500k analog taper in stock. I am out of stock on both the short shaft push/pulls and the long shaft 500k pots (I use them both quite often) so maybe we could do a joint order to StewMac or Allparts and save a little shipping.
                www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                  Rob, you need the long shaft pots for that guitar. I have modded my production LPs for short shaft pots but I like to Jimmy Page wire them and that calls for short shafts.

Anderson Music on Ford Rd., or either of the closer 2 Guitar Centers to us generally have the long shaft Gibby pots in 500k analog taper in stock. I am out of stock on both the short shaft push/pulls and the long shaft 500k pots (I use them both quite often) so maybe we could do a joint order to StewMac or Allparts and save a little shipping.
                  Ok sounds good I need 2 of them. I may take the 2 unopened dimarzios back unless your interested?
                  My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

Working...
                  X