Custom/'59n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom/'59n

Does this setup work out good in a Les Paul?

Re: Custom/'59n

I really didn't like the 59n in my LP through Marshall - lower strings are way too boomy and IMO unsuable, esp. #6. I went to the Jazz instead and am much happier. Can't speak for the Custom but I'm pleased with the JB.

Comment

That's a classic combination for a LP, although after trying most Duncans on my Pauls, I've come to appreciate the Custom 5/59 and Custom Custom/Seth Lover, all in nickelcovered, the best. Both those combos sound nice, toneful and powerful in a Paul, with the C-5/59 being more natural and articulate sounding, and the CC/Seth being warmer and growlier. The Custom is a great pickup for Pauls too, but may have too much hardness under the fingers, and it doesn't clean up quite as good.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

That's a killer combo for hard rock in a Les Paul. The trick with the '59n is to lower the bass side a little away from the strings, or lower the pup and raise the polepieces. There are some pickups (Jazz, Seth A2P, PG etc.) that have less bottom end but you can get a great neck tone from the '59n if you spend some time adjusting it. The Custom is an awesome great fun bridge pickup in an LP - it just totally rocks. Yes, it's harsher than an alnico pup, but it's by far the best sounding most versatile ceramic bucker I've heard. Great rock tone.

Comment

Working...
        X