7 String Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 String Pickups

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade my current 7 string but also one day, create the perfect all round 7 string.
    Does anyone know any excellent pickup setups for a 7 string that give you amazing, clear solos and deep, flesh-tearing thrash sounds? I'd love to have a nice clean death distortion that doesn't just sound like an audio blur :P hehe. I do both lead and backing in my band and need the ability to crank out solos and thrashy riffs without having to change guitars :P
    Thanks for any help you can give me!

Re: 7 String Pickups

ive heard good things about the dimarzio evolution 7. it has amazing note definition, and being dimarzio, it should have what youre looking for
    chimaeraSUN
    Ernie Ball MusicMan Y2D (Dimarzio Steve Morse Bridge/Neck)
    Washburn WI200PRO (SD Custom Custom/'59)
    Ovation 1778-T Blue Flames
    1989 Charvel Spectrum (Tone Zone S/Area 61/Air Norton)

Line 6 HD147
    Crybaby 535Q
    Digitech Whammy
    Boss HR-2/LS-2/AC-2

Comment

Have a look at the active EMG 707s. They are no standart replacements and therefore require some routing of the pickup cavities but itīs well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck
        Have a look at the active EMG 707s. They are no standart replacements and therefore require some routing of the pickup cavities but itīs well worth it.
        I've got a pair of these and I think they're great. Cleans are OK, but I don't use them often, I must admit. I believe Alex_in_chains uses them too, if memory serves his axe had HZ-707s in stock which he changed out. Maybe he'll chime in

As Puck says though, you do need to route your guitar if it came fitted with 'standard' seven string humbuckers. Active pickups are comparitively easy to find, but apart from EMG 707s I believe the only way to get active 7-string humbuckers is to get them custom made. I know The SD custom shop can do 7-string versions of the LiveWire metal humbucker for example, but I hear that one doesn't clean up too well

Comment

I had good experiences with the 7 string Version of the Duncan Custom in a 2 guitarist setup, but itīs been a while.....

Where IS alex, anyway? Havenīt seen him in a while....
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
            Where IS alex, anyway? Havenīt seen him in a while....
            Last seen posting just a week or two ago, I think.

Seems to pop up occasionally, leave a post and then vanish again...must be browsing in stealth mode

Comment

I know this is a blatant plug, but if anybody convinces you to get a 7 string JB, I have one for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                Active pickups are comparitively easy to find, but apart from EMG 707s I believe the only way to get active 7-string humbuckers is to get them custom made.
                EMG now has the 81-7 available. Hopefully the name is self-explanatory
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Excellent! Thanks a lot for all your help. I have been checking up reviews and specifications for pickups and have worked out what I want now and with all your praise towards the 707's I'm definately going to have that as the bridge pickup. I can't remember what I chose for the neck but I wrote it down somewhere so it's ok.

Last but not least, I was tempted to have the 2 humbuckers that I chose PLUS a single coil in between them on the custom 7 I'm building. Anyone think that's a good idea or not and what would you reccomend?

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X