DiMarzio Crunch Lab review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DiMarzio Crunch Lab review.

Yeah those RG's are J Customs and is a factory product. They arnt custom made. They are hand painted by some Japanese artist at the request of Ibanez and only 18 of these world wide, and I got one of each blue and red.

they were built with the other as a matching set. hot and Cold..

Cool aye :P

Comment

How would this Crunchlab sound in a mahogany bodied guitar with a maple/rosewood neck/fretboard?
      1989 Greco Les Paul EG59-60
      1992 Fernandes Telecaster
      2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE
      2014 Tokai Love Rock LS115F
      2013 Ibanez Prestige RG3521
      2018 Ibanez JCustom RG8570Z
      Friedman Runt 50

Comment

Originally posted by cayle_6 View Post
        How would this Crunchlab sound in a mahogany bodied guitar with a maple/rosewood neck/fretboard?
        Probably a little thicker... EBMM now uses them in all the Petrucci signature models. The standard one is a basswood body and the BFR is alder with a maple top, mahogany center block, and mahogany neck.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
          Probably a little thicker... EBMM now uses them in all the Petrucci signature models. The standard one is a basswood body and the BFR is alder with a maple top, mahogany center block, and mahogany neck.
          I see. I'm planning on replacing my Tone Zone with this one. Have you tried it for low/mdeium gain settings? The TZ is really giving me a honky thin sound when the gain is down.
          Friedman Runt 50

Comment

Interesting...

Petrucci's sound in DT's last album is probably his heaviest ever.
            Absolutely brutal, sounds even better than what he did in the Awake album IMO.

Of course a pickup won't do all that by itself, but you can tell Petrucci's newer heavy sound comes with a super clear,
            angry pickup that's still very dynamic, not compressed.
            That Crunch Lab pickup sounds very useful.

I think I'll be considering this one. I have a JB that does the job, but it feels a bit too gentle and backed off sometimes. Not precise enough and too honky.
            I should think about a proper shredder guitar first. A plywood Strat doesn't exactly qualify for the job.
            Last edited by Diego; 05-09-2010, 08:03 PM.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by cayle_6 View Post
              I see. I'm planning on replacing my Tone Zone with this one. Have you tried it for low/mdeium gain settings? The TZ is really giving me a honky thin sound when the gain is down.
              I haven't tried it for lower-gain stuff much yet, mainly because I just replaced a defective volume pot in the guitar that passed signal fine when it was on 10 but had noise/contact problems throughout the rest of it's range.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                I haven't tried it for lower-gain stuff much yet, mainly because I just replaced a defective volume pot in the guitar that passed signal fine when it was on 10 but had noise/contact problems throughout the rest of it's range.
                I hope it's not honky like the TZ..
                Friedman Runt 50

Comment

I recently installed the crunch lab and the liquifire in my RG1527 and I have to say, I agree 110% with this review!

It's clear, articulate and metal

@cayle6
                  Oh, and I think it handles low gain stuff pretty well.
                  However I think it's strange that you found the TZ to be thin.
                  In my experience the TZ is anything but thin sounding
                  Last edited by Schmeer; 05-11-2010, 12:02 PM.
                  The gift of death metal does not smile on the good looking

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeer View Post
                    I recently installed the crunch lab and the liquifire in my RG1527 and I have to say, I agree 110% with this review!

It's clear, articulate and metal

@cayle6
                    Oh, and I think it handles low gain stuff pretty well.
                    However I think it's strange that you found the TZ to be thin.
                    In my experience the TZ is anything but thin sounding
                    Schmeer,
                    I normally dont gel with Dimarzios, but do like the TZ and Super D. Sounds like you know both the TZ and Crunchlab. How do they compare? Ive been hearing alot of good things about the Crunchlab, but never got real excited cuz of my past experience with Dim.. But this review has me thinking.. Plus Id like to find a cool combo for my RG570 with some attitude.. It currently sounds soulful.. I have plenty of soulful guitars, I want the Rg to rip..

Ibanezfreak777,
                    AWESOME Axe! can you post a pick of both? Also, is it safe to assume the Crunchlab is now avail in all colors??
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      Schmeer,
                      I normally dont gel with Dimarzios, but do like the TZ and Super D. Sounds like you know both the TZ and Crunchlab. How do they compare? Ive been hearing alot of good things about the Crunchlab, but never got real excited cuz of my past experience with Dim.. But this review has me thinking.. Plus Id like to find a cool combo for my RG570 with some attitude.. It currently sounds soulful.. I have plenty of soulful guitars, I want the Rg to rip..
                      Well, it's been a while since I've played the TZ, but I seem to remember the TZ as bassier than the crunchlab.
                      Not that the crunchlab is lacking low end in any way, mind you

It also strikes me as having more harmonics than the TZ.

I've only had it installed since last saturday so I'm still messing around with pickup height and stuff like that, but so far I really, really like it.
                      The gift of death metal does not smile on the good looking

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Yeah the TZ has a huge low end. Im kinda suprised at how hot you guys say this pup is. I dont have alot of experience with Petrucci's playing, but I dont recall what Ive heard being super heavy or distorted.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Great review Mr.Raptor

Can you please compare Air Norton with Liquifire and CrunchLab with Steves Special, if you tried?
                          Official Author of Guitarism Section of SOUND Magazine, TR

Click Here to Guitarism Blog for Special Interviews, Reviews and Articles

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." — Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by nienturi View Post
                            Great review Mr.Raptor

Can you please compare Air Norton with Liquifire and CrunchLab with Steves Special, if you tried?
                            I have not tried the Liqufire. I may try it out in place of my Air Norton if I get some extra cash and see which I like better.

I have tried a Steve's Special, though. It's not anywhere near as loud - probably 2/3 the output of the CL, and much more subtle sounding. It's not loud but it's got a nice smooth tone to it. Like the Crunch Lab, it sounds different depending on which coil is facing the bridge... one of the SS's coils is underwound and I preferred it with the "hot" coil towards the bridge.

Very fat, smooth, expansive sounding pickup, but just a little tame for me.

Comment

How does the Crunch lab and D sonic compare?

Comment

Originally posted by Gplayerzzz View Post
                                How does the Crunch lab and D sonic compare?
                                I used both with the bar towards the bridge, so i can make an apples-to-apples comparison on this one.

Compared to the D-Sonic, the Crunch Lab is louder, warmer, and has more depth to the sound. It feels a little more "alive" than the D-Sonic did, if that makes any sense.

I like the D-Sonic as well. I just like the CL more.

Comment

Working...
                                X