• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AlNiCo magnet in an Invader?

^ you sure about that?

Comment

Just because you use a Ceramic magnet doesn't mean the pickup lacks tone. Ceramics just have a presence to them that some people don't like and that really isn't even always true. Basically the logic you just put forth is kind of like saying "Oh A2 magnets have a spongier bottom end, a friendly dose of mides, and a high end roll off. I dont want to get that pickup because if it has a darker sounding magnet it will sound muddy and crappy." That is something people do. The A2P is a bright pickup and not muddy which is a total contradiction if you try to judge its tone only on its magnet.

Magnets do effect the tone but aren't the only factor. The wind and the magnet both equally matter. Having an A2 doesnt always mean it will be muddy and dark, having an A5 won't always mean its going to be scooped and tight, having a ceramic won't always mean it will have a harsh presence to it. But if you have a pickup that is dark and maybe uses an A2 and you slap a ceramic in there odds are it will be like an icepick (not always but prolly) since the wind wasnt wound with the ceramic in mind.

Magnets have a tone to them but people think since it has "this" magnet the pickup will follow the magnets general EQ curve which is wrong to assume. If you like the Invader then don't mess with it. If there are things you want to dial out or add on please address what they are and we could point you in the direction of magnets that may correct your pickups wrongs, but if you are just sitting there liking the Invader but think since it has a ceramic it lacks tone and putting an Alnico in will make it sound better because ceramics dont sound good well Idk sorry but thats dumb. I don't mean to be a dick I'm just in rant mode I guess.
      Last edited by ACH91332; 05-16-2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie Sammler View Post
        YOU'RE not the most toneful magnet!
        heh heh...

Comment

Originally posted by ACH91332 View Post
          Isn't the Invader Neck A5?
          No, both ceramic.
          Generic signature line.

Comment

You can easily make the smaller magnets with a saw.
            This is absolutely false. I used a slow-speed diamond saw designed for cutting ceramics and it took ages to cut through a little A2 magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Natman View Post
              This is absolutely false. I used a slow-speed diamond saw designed for cutting ceramics and it took ages to cut through a little A2 magnet.
              Its not fast but its very simple.

Comment

Done it with the Detonator (A8), and it's awesome. Sooo mean sounding, real nice chugga-chugga. I've not had an Invader apart, but I imagine you could just replace the spacer mags with normal plastic or wood spacers and make a spacer for the underside of the center mag and it would be the exact same thing.

Comment

I know The Creamery has a humbucker called the "Double Six" which looks like a Dirty Fingers (two rows of Flathead screws) but its has a trio of mismatched alnico magnets in it: two "smaller' Alnico 5 magnets, and one "larger" Alnico 8 magnet. And there is the aforementioned Tony Iommi Pickup. SO mixing magnets isn't unheard of. I'd say expirement with different magnets and see check out the differences. Post the results!

As to why there doesn't seem to have been much experimentation with the Invader, its probably because the Invader doesn't get as much love as say the JB or Custom. Rather, it seems to be a "love/hate" pickup: either people love that heavy crunch tone, or they hate the pickup because of how hot

Comment

Working...
                  X