banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polepieces in Basslines MusicMan pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polepieces in Basslines MusicMan pickup?

My new bass has a set of Basslines pickups that I got from Lakland Musical Instruments, along with their preamp. The pickups are the MM/J configuration.
    What I found is that the MusicMan pickup has pole pieces that are raised for the A & D string, yet are flush with the pickup cover for the E & G string. I realize this may be helpful to follow the string height of a very round neck, but my neck is almost flat and it's causing the A & D strings to be significantly louder than the A & G string. Adjusting the pickup height won't help, since it just brings the polepieces of the A & D that much closer.

Is it possible to get a Basslines MM pickups that has "even" polepieces across all four strings?
    Or, is there a way to somehow even out the heights of the polepieces? I'ven even thought of somehow filing down the offending parts with a band-saw or dremel, but don't want to do anything that drastic unless I have no other options.

I really like the sound of the Basslines and don't want to have to use a different brand of pickup, but I can't continue to have two strings significantly louder than the others on my bass. (The Jazz-style pickup does not have the same issue, as the polepieces are all the same height...)

Thanks for any help/info/comments.
    Scott

Re: Polepieces in Basslines MusicMan pickup?

Anyone?

Comment

I remember reading something about possibly ruining magnetic pole pieces by heating them up while grinding them down. The heat can degrade the magnetic field. Don't know if this applies to those pickups, but thought you should be careful.

Hopefully somebody will have a solution for you.

Chip
      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Thanks. So maybe that's not the best option, but there must be a way of correcting this issue, without having to use a different brand's pickups...right?

Comment

can you push the magnets down? dont grind them, bad idea.

Comment

I don't know what to tell you, except for the fact that if you've got a warranty, use it. Rather than void your warranty by grinding the pole pieces down, send it back (if possible) and get a completely new pickup, free of charge. Looking at pictures of the Basslines MM replacement, it seems to me that all the pole pieces SHOULD be flush and I'm wondering if you got an off-chance dud.... it could just be an accident.
            It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
            - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
              I don't know what to tell you, except for the fact that if you've got a warranty, use it. Rather than void your warranty by grinding the pole pieces down, send it back (if possible) and get a completely new pickup, free of charge. Looking at pictures of the Basslines MM replacement, it seems to me that all the pole pieces SHOULD be flush and I'm wondering if you got an off-chance dud.... it could just be an accident.
              Nope, I just looked at all mine on the shelf and that's the way they are made.

So, what is you neck radius? Even if you at 15" or 16" heel end radius you would still need to set up with more height on the middle strings to get consistant action height.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRose
                Nope, I just looked at all mine on the shelf and that's the way they are made.
                No kidding? Alright, original poster, there's your answer. I didn't know that.
                It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Originally posted by berklee46
                  ... Adjusting the pickup height won't help, since it just brings the polepieces of the A & D that much closer.
                  Try LOWERING the pickup as much as ½ inch from the strings, perhaps even further. It's not going to ruin the sound, and it is going to balance the issue some. You'll need more gain from the amp, but that really shouldn't matter.

By the way, did you check if the strings are equally directly on top of the polepieces?

-Aki.

Comment

Working...
                  X