banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installation/setup/wiring etc.: Home shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation/setup/wiring etc.: Home shop?

I seem to be spending a lot of time (and money) at the shop with my armada of guitars, getting setups, pickup installations etc. While the folks at the shop are super pro's, they don't mind charging top dollar for their services, and taking their time getting to my orders, since I have so many, and they have other customers besides me to deal with. How hard is it to become proficient at this stuff for a reasonably intelligent, interested person like myself? Should I read a book(s) (which ones), find a class in my area (how?), search the internet, etc? What tools would I need? How involved is this? Should I just keep working with the pro's? Thanks in advance.
    "If you love them blues, play 'em as you please"
    -Michael Bloomfield

Re: Installation/setup/wiring etc.: Home shop?

How extensive do you want to be with DIY guitar work? If you just want to do basic setups, you only need a few simple tools. If you want to install pickups and do electronics work, you'll need more tools. If you want to do fretwork and finishing, that's where you really need to invest in some specialized tools.

I would suggest starting with the book "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great," by Dan Erlewine. He's pretty much the world's most skilled and respected luthier, and it's a great book if you want to learn to do your own setups. There is also a lot of great information available for free on the web. www.projectguitar.com is a great reference.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Re: Installation/setup/wiring etc.: Home shop?

Originally posted by rspst14
      I would suggest starting with the book "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great," by Dan Erlewine.
      Yes, get that. I've got it and its great. Some of the guys here can help you a lot too.

Comment

Working...
      X