Deciding for my SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding for my SG

So ive just got an epiphone sg special, and methinks it needs new pups. I wanna get an sh-2 jazz in the neck, so should i get an sh-4 or an sh-5 custom in the bridge?

Thanks

o and i play stuff like metallica and guns n roses if that helps
    Last edited by scotte; 11-02-2004, 01:32 PM. Reason: Forgot this

Re: Deciding for my SG

For G'n'R (if you want a more convincing Slash tone) you'll want Alnico II magnets (Alnico II Pro, Custom Custom) When Metallica used Duncans (MOP and earlier, I believe) James used an Invader and Kirk used a Distortion.

Between the SH-4 and the SH-5, I would choose the Custom, as I have heard that JB's can get a little thin in SG's, but that is not from personal experience. Also, what amp, effects, etc are you using?

Comment

I like the APH/Custom combo myself, especially in a thin bodied, bolt on neck guitar like your Special. These pickups will have more low end and midrange to fill out the sound, but still have plenty of clarity and high end bite to cut through whenever you want.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Im using a boss ds-1 distortion pedal and a tiny little laney hcm-10 amp if that helps. Tx

Comment

I would be inclined to go with Benjy on this. The APH will get you closer to Slash's tone (as that is what he uses) and the Custom will give you enough kick for some Metallica and stuff, while retaining plenty of versatility for whatever else you might want to play. Plus, if you decide you don't like the Custom, you can always drop an Alnico II or Alnico V magnet in it to replace the Ceramic mag, giving you a Custom Custom or a Custom 5, respectively.

Comment

Working...
          X