(Another) Help me pick a bridge pup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Another) Help me pick a bridge pup thread

Tomorrow after work (hooray it's payday!) I'm going to go laydown a few of my hard earned dollars on a new set of pickups. I've decided on a Jazz for the neck, but I'm having trouble picking the model I want for the bridge. I'm leaning towards a Custom Custom, but I'm also considering the Alnico2 Pro and the Pearly Gates.

Obviously my other equipment and musical preferences are a consideration. The guitar they will be going in is an Ibanez AX320 (similar to an SG) and my amp is a Mesa Nomad 100 212 combo. I use minimal effects. My musical style is primarily hard, classic and southern rock with some classic metal and punk from time to time.
    Custom Custom
    50.00%
    Alnico II Pro
    12.50%
    Pearly Gates
    25.00%
    Other
    12.50%

The poll is expired.

Re: (Another) Help me pick a bridge pup thread

I voted for the Custom Custom because, well I'm looking at getting one here pretty quick for my Hamer Artist korina.

For other: Distortion, always a good decision.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I like the Custom a bit better than the CC in mahogany guitars. The Custom is still fat, but it cuts through better and has more snap to the lows.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Travis. I tried the DD once a few years ago and it just wasn't for me. I think I have a preference for the softer highs of an Alnico magnet.

Comment

id go Custom/JAzz
          http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
          >cord<
          1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by marshall_artist
            Thanks for the suggestion Travis. I tried the DD once a few years ago and it just wasn't for me. I think I have a preference for the softer highs of an Alnico magnet.

Hey man, nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can handle the all out metal assault of the Distorition. Different strokes for different folks.

Just kidding you, there. I think that the Custom Custom might fit the bill, though. I'm looking to put it in an all Korina guitar. I'm looking for the softer highs and smooth tone myself.
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

ok, well in that case........the CC with its soft buttery highs would be good for you bro
              http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
              >cord<
              1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Let me throw in another wrinkle. Waht about the Custom 5? I recall reading somewhere that it has a more "scooped" sound. It may not be for me, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has some experience with it.

Comment

I have a CC in my all-mahogany with maple cap Eggle Berlin. Let me tell you: absolutely the greatest pickup I ever heard! The Custom has a somewhat harsher PAF-like sound to it that I don't like as much. I also had a PAF and a JB in the bridge of that guitar, and didn't like those. The CC really came through - for bluesy classic rock it is GREAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterku
                    The A2P and the Pearly Gates are much more balanced than the Custom Custom. Why not prefer them to the CC?
                    The A2P is a fantastic pickup. I played a LP equiped with two of them a couple of years ago and I was very pleased with the tone, but I'm not sure that they are powerfull enough for hard rock use. The CC on the other hand is strong withoug being harsh (at least based on the sound clips).

Comment

Slash has all his LPs fitted with twin A2Ps, so they're definitely powerful enough for hardrock. I have one in the neck and am very pleased with it. Having one in both positions would limit you tonally I think as there would not be too much difference between the pickups (less so than between two 59s for example). CC + A2P gives you versatility, but both pickups go together very well (both Alnico2 magnets).

Comment

I have an A2P in the bridge of my LTD Eclipse. The distorted tone has a lot of bounce and crunch. The cool thing with lower output pups is they have a great feel distorted in an old-school metal setting because...well, they just didn't wind pups as hot back in the day.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input guys! I went after work today and picked up the CC and installed it right away. I've spent the last few hours playing it and I am so far very pleased. Of course the true test is if you still like it after the honeymoon is over.

After talking with the tech at the shop I decided to wait about getting a neck pickup. He said that if the full sound of the CC is what I'm after I may be a little let-down by the Jazz. He suggested the '59, A2P or even the Full Shred. What do you guys think? Or maybe that's the seed of another thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X