jb/jazz combo or sh-5/jazz combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jb/jazz combo or sh-5/jazz combo?

im trying to figure out which would work best for me, i am aware that it is up to the ear of the player, but id like to try to get some comparison insights.

i play hard to heavy rock, ie: smashing pumpkins, nirvana, tool, deftones, soundgarden. But I also need the versatility to have a decent clean sound when the pickup selector is switched to the middle. ( i like to switch to middle position for clean tones...)

how do the two compare when in the bridge?

how would they compare "clean wise" with the pickup selector in the middle position (sharing with the jazz)

keep in mind this is a mohagony body/ rosewood fretboard Schecter dual humbucking, 3 way pickup selector...and a coil tap on the tone knob

thanks, rock on!

think of it like this;

the JB's tone is like a pickup that's a little drunk. when on clean he is pretty nice, even decent! but when you crank up the distortion he takes a couple shots of schnopps(is that how you spell it?), and he goes on a rampage.... injuring 4 people with those barstools!
    as compared to the sh-5 custom: which is like an old friend that had a bit too much jagermeister. on clean, he can be a bit annoying, trying to get him to calm down and rest. but when you put on the gain at 11, he goes on a SHOOTING RAMPAGE!! and at the end of that day, he's being chased by the CIA in the jungles of the Congo!!

so pick which ever one fits you the most

JB- PAF that's a little drunk
    Custom- PAF THAT'S PISSED OFF!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
      think of it like this;

the JB's tone is like a pickup that's a little drunk. when on clean he is pretty nice, even decent! but when you crank up the distortion he takes a couple shots of schnopps(is that how you spell it?), and he goes on a rampage.... injuring 4 people with those barstools!
      as compared to the sh-5 custom: which is like an old friend that had a bit too much jagermeister. on clean, he can be a bit annoying, trying to get him to calm down and rest. but when you put on the gain at 11, he goes on a SHOOTING RAMPAGE!! and at the end of that day, he's being chased by the CIA in the jungles of the Congo!!

LOL..not a bad analogy. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone describe pickups in that manner.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
        LOL..not a bad analogy. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone describe pickups in that manner.
        well, i have alot of time on my hands

Comment

The JB would probably be a little more versatile.
          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

the clean sound of the jazz and jb combined will probably be sweeter than the custom/jazz combo

Comment

I was amazed at the clean sound I got with the Custom/59n notched position. Very snappy and twangy, but plenty of bass. That was a good combo. I'm using a ceramic 59b now, that's like a low-output Custom...very nice.

I actually wasn't as impressed with the JB/59 notched sound. But JB sounds amazing played clean by itself, I think it has a better clean than some PAFs!
              Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
              Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
              Originally posted by Sosomething
              "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

what amp are you putting into the pup mix??
                Protect the best sound equipment you have, your ears/hearing!

Comment

its a recently purchased mesa boogie 3 channel dual rectifier.

i also have a solid state crate 212 but ... **** that

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I did a couple months ago...on the very same topic! I, however, personified the JB as a gentleman boxer and the SH-5 as a Mike Tyson-esque character.

Comment

JAZZ/JB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                      Suhr OD-50
                      Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

with the 3x rectifier (I salute you for your excellent choice of amps)...

a recent post a month back had the same exact dilemma as you, and an administrator answered that the middle toggle switch position yielded OK cleans and good distortion...the user had a triple rec, a LP, and did not like the sh-4 for his sound

mesa engineers test out amps with Tom Anderson H3 bridge, and the Custom sounds similar to the H3...my vote is for the Custom. However, I hope other people with more experience than I will post replies, as I think this dilemma is interesting with this amp!
                        Protect the best sound equipment you have, your ears/hearing!

Comment

Working...
                        X