500k Pots for a Lil 59

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500k Pots for a Lil 59

How many players do this instead of using the regular 250k pots in your Telecaster? What are the results?
    -Butch

Re: 500k Pots for a Lil 59

Addendum - I'm going to install the 500k pots and pull the 250k because I'm going to add a full-size humbucker in the neck position. See my sig pic.
    -Butch

Comment

Well, I guess no one has done this so you're all waiting on me to do it first? Well, I did. So far, I have to say that the Lil 59 w/250k pots is great. When wired in parallel. It's even better.

Now, in series and wired with 500k pots, it's very very nice. I'll give a better review tomorrow after I actually use it in band play....
      -Butch

Comment

I'm going to install 500k pots in my tele because I have 2 humbuckers in it, one of them is a hot rails.

Comment

What size caps are you guys going to use?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian L View Post
            What size caps are you guys going to use?
            I'm using 0.022μF.
            -Butch

Comment

My rule of thumb is anything over 9K gets 500k pots, because these pickups are closer in output and tonality to humbuckers, than single coils. It doesn't always work, but it works enough that's where I start.
              Last edited by idsnowdog; 10-02-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                my rule of thumb is anything over 9k gets 500k pots, because these pickups are closer in output and tonality to humbuckers, than single coils. It doesn't always work, but it works enough that's where i start.
                +1
                "Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

Comment

I quite like my 500K pot with my hot lead stack PUP though I did not hear it with a 250K pot (I changed both pot and pup at the same time). The parallel wiring works really nice too in my opinion - I like it better than the single coil sound + the hot stack in the humbucker wiring is lower in volume than in the single coil wiring

Comment

I used my used my 500k-equipped Tele this morning and it sounded better than with the 250k pots. I'm going to get some CTS pots though. They might have better tolerances than the ones I currently have. When I measured them (before installing), they both measured around 460k.
                    -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
                      When I measured them (before installing), they both measured around 460k.
                      The tolerance on a lot of components is 10%, so if you take 500k x .10 = 50k. 500k - 50k = 450k plus a small margin of error for the measuring equipment.

Comment

One of my Tele's has a Little 59 at the neck and a Pearly Gates at he bridge. I use 500k pots and a .23 cap.
                        " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                          My rule of thumb is anything over 9K gets 500k pots, because these pickups are closer in output and tonality to humbuckers, than single coils. It doesn't always work, but it works enough that's where I start.
                          Interesting - I never really thought of that....
                          -Butch

Comment

I use 500k pots with my Lil 59 tele, it works fine. No overly brightness at all. It's still humbucker sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbend View Post
                              One of my Tele's has a Little 59 at the neck and a Pearly Gates at he bridge. I use 500k pots and a .23 cap.
                              .23 or .023?
                              With a .23 you might as well not even use a cap.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X