Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimarzio Breed with ceramic magnet

Originally posted by Majestic
    I've always wondered what my Evolution would sound like with an Alnico 5......

It's already pretty bright....I would think it would end up sounding harsh possibly but I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
      It's already pretty bright....I would think it would end up sounding harsh possibly but I'm not sure.

Evolutions have Ceramic magnets I believe....an AlnicoV may make them sound less harsh and high endy.
      Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Originally posted by Archer_of_Fish
        Evolutions have Ceramic magnets I believe....an AlnicoV may make them sound less harsh and high endy.

I thought A5's made the pickup have more of a glassy high end over ceramic....like the C5 compared to the Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
          I thought A5's made the pickup have more of a glassy high end over ceramic....like the C5 compared to the Custom.

I'm pretty sure that the Ceramic magnet will add even more highs and lows than an A5 magnet.

pretty sure......I'm totally open to being incorrect on that and this is a great place to be corrected.

Anyone want to add to this?
          Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Originally posted by Archer_of_Fish
            I'm pretty sure that the Ceramic magnet will add even more highs and lows than an A5 magnet.

pretty sure......I'm totally open to being incorrect on that and this is a great place to be corrected.

Anyone want to add to this?

I'm sure someone will chime in here to help us out

Comment

What I would've predicted is less harsh upper-mids, a slightly less focused tone, including more "loose" bass and warmer, "curled" treble, like when you switch from a Custom to a C5.

The Evolution appears to be wound slightly less than the Custom line, yet it has those "hex screws", or whatever they're called. Plus, dual-resonance (non-matching coils) technology.

Comment

What I would've predicted is less harsh upper-mids, a slightly less focused tone, including more "loose" bass and warmer, "curled" treble, like when you switch from a Custom to a C5.

The Evolution appears to be wound slightly less than the Custom line, yet it has those "hex screws", or whatever they're called. Plus, dual-resonance (non-matching coils) technology.

That might be good then since the Evo is hella tight on the bottom end and is very focused....I don't think taking some of that away will kill it if it gets a touch warmer.

Comment

I've always wondered what my Evolution would sound like with an Alnico 5......
                  The EVO with a alnico 5 sounds much less attacky and not as bright.
                  it has a EQ of something like bass 5, mids 4,treble 6
                  and the output drops quite considerably from 404 MV to about 320 MV
                  i hope this helps?

Comment

That's great, man. So basically, the EQ curve becomes more "flat", compared to the pickup's stock tone.

Have you actually done this, or know someone who has?

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
                      I have a funny feeling Dimarzio own a patent over unbalanced coils, which would make Duncan unable to produce hybrid pups, though I'm not 100% sure.
                      The patent is for similar/same winding of different guages.
                      This gives 2 differnt frequency responses while retaining humbucking characteristics.
                      Satanists In Love-
                      Dance With The Kings
                      of Dance Kings.

Headlopper-
                      Everyone Must Give Head.

Drunk Boy Records-
                      Fingers on the Pulse of America,
                      and Applying as Much Pressure as We Can.
                      http://www.DrunkBoy.cjb.net

Comment

Point taken bout the breed now that uve made the obvious more clear it really doesnt sound like a good idea. Has anyone here tried the airzone/tonezone hybrid? Thats supposed to be really really good the best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                        X