SD Hybrids (neck/bridge) models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Hybrids (neck/bridge) models

Has anyone tried say a hybrid of a 59N/B, JazzN/B, Alnico Pro IIN/B, Full ShredN/B etc. Hopefully I am clear, by meaning one coil of a 59N and another coil from a 59B?

Seems that since bridge versions are hotter, that when mixed with the neck hum coil, it would be mismatched, but not sure if it would sound much different than the standard variety since the coil wire guage is the same between neck/bridge versions.

If anyone has tried this please stand up. BachToRock, have you tried this before?

Re: SD Hybrids (neck/bridge) models

I remember someone on here (Dr Barlo?) that wanted a hotter Pearly Gates neck and maybe this idea to combine say a PGn and a PGb would be an ideal PG for him?

Isn't a neck PG like 7.87k whereas a bridge is more like 8.50k? Seems like the hybrid would be ideal.

I'd be willing to try but I never made a hybrid yet and too chicken to screw up 2 Duncans in the process.

I wish the old Hybrid thread was still available.

Comment

Of course I have... being the HYBRID fanatic!
      Yes... you can combine a bridge coil with a neck coil to get up around 8k with the added benefit of the mis-matched coil mojo...
      Just think about it for a minute... all the hype over original PAF's... it's not rocket science... the ingredients are just a baseplate, plastic bobbins, the RIGHT wire wound the RIGHT way and the RIGHT magnet...
      Mis-matched coils are a huge reason why the originals sound so good... you end up with a broader tonal spectrum and a less "peaky" tone since the resonant peak is different for each coil. It's a flatter and more natural frequency response.
      GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

I was thinking a JazzN/B hybrid would make a sweet neck pickup that is just a tad bit hotter. So basically making 2 Jazz hybrids this way would in effect have 2 pickups with a similar K output. I want to try this but I need your help.

Did you ever get photos of the process or is time the limiting factor, as it seems to be for me to get things done?

Comment

That would be a cool pickup... I like the synergy that occurs when you mix a Jazz/APII coil with a 59 coil... something about the 2 different types of insulation on the wire.
          I have not had any time to make any lately... I will photograph the process when I do and post it here... hopefully soon!
          GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Working...
          X