Coil split with hum cancelling middle position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil split with hum cancelling middle position

I have a 2 humbucker guitar with 1 vol, 1 tone, and a 3 way toggle. I have 2 push/pull pots to replace the vol and tone pots. I've been trying to decide between either parallel mode or coil split with the push/pull pots. I think I'm going to go with coil split, since that's what most people prefer, from what I've been able to find.

So, my questions are:

Which coil do you prefer when in split mode, inner or outer. Which one on the bridge pickup? neck pickup?

Also, is there a special way to wire it so that, when in split mode, I have hum cancelling in the middle position?

Re: Coil split with hum cancelling middle position

I like the outside coils on both pickups, I find the inside coils are too far away from the bridge/neck to give a distinct sound.
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Use screw coil on neck, slug on bridge.
      Generic signature line.

Comment

I'm with Zhangliqun. I find the screw coil on the bridge to be too close to the bridge - too bright and pingy. The slug sounds the most like a strat/tele bridge position. Plus, if you go this route it is indeed humcancelling in the middle.

Comment

Ditto and ditto. My favorite way to wire a 2-bucker axe is with the middle position being as they said above, in series, for a virtual 3rd humbucker. Its just a slightly cleaner, clearer tone than both 'buckers on in parallel.

Comment

FWIW, I like the neck split and the bridge parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Ditto and ditto. My favorite way to wire a 2-bucker axe is with the middle position being as they said above, in series, for a virtual 3rd humbucker. Its just a slightly cleaner, clearer tone than both 'buckers on in parallel.
              I've thought of wiring that for series but never tried it. Figured it would be an even meaner BB King kinda blues tone.
              Generic signature line.

Comment

I'm glad someone brought this thread up.

I am planing on putting together a tele with a SD Jazz humbucker and a SD classic stacks in the bridge. With these two pickups could I do the coil split/humcancelling mode as described above? And if I can would it have any advantage in doing so?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                  I've thought of wiring that for series but never tried it. Figured it would be an even meaner BB King kinda blues tone.
                  Its worth trying, but the "catch" is that you need either a Fender-style blade 3-way, or one of those expensive 4PDT on-on-on switches, like some Ibby's have.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Can somebody point me to a wiring diagram? --> 2 buckers, master vol, master tone, 3 way switch: 1. bridge bucker 2. bridge north coil + neck north coil in series 3. neck bucker.
                    Last edited by h3r3t1k; 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X