Butch's Jerry Donahue Tele Thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butch's Jerry Donahue Tele Thread....

Okay, with all the Jerry Donahue wiring threads out there, I thought I'd start another one. This one will be my personal journey into, what some (including me) consider, one of the most complicated wiring schemes out there.

Feel free to add your own notes, questions, and thoughts here. I know there are some, on the forum, that have wanted to do this wiring as long as I have.

Some ask, "Why do you want to pursue this? Is it the Strat quack you achieve by using only 2 pickups?" "Why not just do the 3-pickup Tele thing?"

Here's my answer. It's not because I am building a shrine or tribute to Jerry Donahue. He is one of favorite players and an influence as well; however, the desire to do this wiring scheme comes more from the functional need than the desire to "be like Jerry". I have used 3-pickup Telecasters since the early 90's. I have always struggled with the middle pickup getting in the way. I also really love the look of a sleek, simple 2-pickup Telecaster. With the Peavey Omniac's wiring choices being a bit different than Fender's (maybe Jerry had time to evolve the switching through years of use). Here's what you get with the Omniac and what I am striving for. These switch positions are numbered with the switch going from neck to bridge.
    • Pos. 1: Neck pickup normal - This is just a normal Strat pickup circuit.
    • Pos. 2: Neck pickup with special tone circuit - This gives a fuller, warmer tone synonymous with maybe a 335.
    • Pos. 3: Neck and Bridge pickups together in parallel - this is the normal middle switch position on a Telecaster.
    • Pos. 4: Bridge and neck pickups out of phase. Using various caps and resistors, this tone is like the bridge and middle pickups together on a Strat.
    • Pos. 5: Bridge pickup - This is the standard circuit for the bridge pickup alone.

What I miss is the one tone I really never used in a band situation - the neck/middle combination. I will post events and thoughts along the way of this journey....
    -Butch

Re: Butch's Jerry Donahue Tele Thread....

Okay, I'll first talk a little about where my Tele was and what I did last night. It might sound simple to many of you; but let me assure you, it wasn't for me. My Telecasters (all except my 52AVRI and my 51 Nocaster RI, neither of which I still have...) have had some combination of three pickups. Maybe it was a standard Tele pickup config with a Strat pickup in the middle; or maybe Strat pickup in both the neck and middle; or even a mini or full-size humbucker in the neck and a Strat pickup in the middle. You see where I have been and what emotional "stuff" I have been dealing with...

Well, my current Telecaster is a 2006 American Telecaster. At the beginning of this project, it sported a set of Tex-Mex Tele pickup and an RWRP Tex-Mex Strat pickup for the middle. I also had various switching combos too. Maybe I'd use a 3-way blade switch with a mini-toggle for the middle pickup. As of yesterday, I was using a standard Fender 5-way switch and just had it wired like a Strat.

Last night, I grabbed my white pearl pickguard, that was cut for one Strat pick in the neck position. I disconnected the neck and middle pickups and pulled the tortoise shell Nashville Tele pickguard off; but left the Strat pickup and changed out the white cover for a black one. I wired up a standard 3-way switch. So, now, it's basically a standard Telecaster with a Strat neck pickup. Fender used to make a Tele called the California Tele; back around 1997. Why do they discontinue such cool models, I'll never know....

Anyway, I was happy and it looked cool. Then the withdrawals started. I "had" to have that middle pickup!!!! I grabbed my pickguard with the neck position mini-humbucker/middle position Strat pickup and started the process. Then, I remembered - The mini I have does not do well with 250k pots but likes 500k. I have a Tex-Mex in the bridge and it doesn't do well with 500k pots. I would have to change the pots and the bridge pickup to my Lil 59. I took a step back and thought, "Wait a minute - the JD wiring is what we're doing here; not Brent Mason." I was able to withstand the temptation.

So, short story, incredibly long, I got through my first step - moving from 3 physical pickups to 2 on the Telecaster.
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 12-24-2010, 08:48 AM.
    -Butch

Comment

Component List....

Per the drawing that Peavey sent me, here's a component list:

1. Seymour Duncan APTL-3JD
      2. Seymour Duncan APS-2
      3. 5-way double-wafer super switch
      4. 6.2k x2 resistor
      5. 0.0022uF cap
      6. 0.0033uF cap
      7. 150k resistor
      8. 0.001uF cap
      9. 0.022uF cap
      -Butch

Comment

Cool. Thanks for posting the component list. I'll be mimicing yhe Omniac wiring as well on my MIJ '69 Thinline RI. It currently has a pair of Zhangbucker pickups in there. I have a 9K, alnico V (slightly undersized poles) Paul Bunyan Lead in the bridge and an alnico V Paul Bunyan uncovered rythm in the neck.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Artie put a component list together for me awhile back. I'm waiting on him to check this one. Oh, the extra zeros in the 0.0022uF and 0.0033uF caps? They are supposed to be there.
          -Butch

Comment

Lol, cool. That's a good thing, make those caps smaller. It's going to get tight in my control cavity.

Comment

Cool idea, but one thing that I'd do differently is swap the #2 and #3 positions, then make #3 neck & bridge in series. That gives you the "notch" tone in the notch position and gives you the virtual 3rd humbucker in the #3 position. You can always add a switch to get the phase position.

Of course, then it wouldn't quite be a JD Tele, which may defeat the purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Cool idea, but one thing that I'd do differently is swap the #2 and #3 positions, then make #3 neck & bridge in series. That gives you the "notch" tone in the notch position and gives you the virtual 3rd humbucker in the #3 position. You can always add a switch to get the phase position.

Of course, then it wouldn't quite be a JD Tele, which may defeat the purpose.
                There ya go.... I want to do this one just like the Omniac.
                -Butch

Comment

The reason I'm doing it is because I love the way my tele feels, miss notch tones, but am not willing to route out my Thinline (the guitar resonates so well I really don't want to risk changing the actual wood/hardware).

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
                    I want to do this one just like the Omniac.
                    Cool. We'll focus on that then.

Comment

Okay, just so you know - the 3-pickup withdrawals are not done. In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that when I get home, I want to switch back. Must be strong......
                      -Butch

Comment

One thing that you can do to match a single bridge with a neck hum on a telecaster is use a 500k volume pot and put a 470k resistor across the bridge pickup. This makes it "see" approximately 250k on just the bridge pickup. Might help your wiring scheme a bit.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                        Originally posted by Securb
                        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I'm excited for you, Butch..I have my eye on this one............
                          Originally Posted by Aceman:
                          My ween nearly disappeared into my body this morning.

Comment

Thought I'd post an update. Peavey sent me a component list:

75065054 SWITCH, 4P5T STEREO EA 1.000
                            75165010 POT.250KA SLD SHAFT,LONG EA 2.000
                            30330134 0.022UF 50V 5% PE RAD EA 1.000 0
                            30240035 150K--1/4W--5%----CF--T&R EA 1.000
                            30330156 1000PF 50V 5% PE RAD EA 1.000
                            30240070 6.2K 1/4W 5% CF T&R EA 2.000
                            30330155 0.01UF 50V 5% PE RAD EA 1.000
                            30340006 .0033 uF 10% 50V T/C T&R EA 1.000
                            71500789 15MM C/SUNK WASHER -BLK EA 5.000
                            30340004 .0022 uF 10% 50V T/C T&R EA 1.000

Some of it, I'll have to decipher through....
                            -Butch

Comment

It appears that this list has an extra .0033uf capacitor listed that is not accounted for in the schematic.

71500789 15MM C/SUNK WASHER -BLK EA 5.000

Here's some additional information, CF = carbon film resistor, PE= polypropylene cap, RAD= radial mounting type, T/C= temperature compensation ceramic capacitor, T & R stands for tape and reel when ordering.

Comment

Working...
                              X