No announcement yet.

DiMarzio SD (70s) vs. Duncan JB (80s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DiMarzio SD (70s) vs. Duncan JB (80s)

This is an old thread, but my .02 is: I've owned a JB since I bought it new in 1995 and I have 2 with the older stickers. "JB model" and "JB M" . The JBM sounds pretty much like the '95 but the 'JB Model' is crunchier and not as sharp/shrillish. It's obvious when you hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodyTone View Post
      > Is these pickups' time past -- because we have more or better p/u choices now, and amps have MVs so goosing them not needed as much?
      I don't think so. Most people I know choose one of these two as their first replacement pickup. Besides that, they're both pretty versatile and still work for me at high gain. The SD especially. It can cover anything from (classic) rock to fusion to brutal downtuned death metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Varg View Post
        Better? No way! The JB and SD are perfect for hard rock and metal.

As long as people like the tones of bands like Kiss, Iron Maiden and Megadeth people will buy those two pickups.
        FYI..I know mustaine was a jb player forever...but rust in peace sounds more like a custom custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nsatke View Post
          FYI..I know mustaine was a jb player forever...but rust in peace sounds more like a custom custom.

And his signature Jackson King V's featured a TB5 Custom in the bridge and a JB in the neck. At least that's what the Jackson catalogs from that era say.

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
            I don't think Woody is suggesting the pickups were different in the 70's and 80's. I think it's just a statement about the importance of those particular pickups from that time and what impact they have on music and pickups today. I'd say lots on both accounts.

Personally, I'd like to make a hybrid using a Super D coil and a JB coil with an A8 magnet. Now that would be a Rock God of a pickup!!
            Made 2 of those hybrids.

Now, if i could only find the second one... where did I put that sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
              And his signature Jackson King V's featured a TB5 Custom in the bridge and a JB in the neck. At least that's what the Jackson catalogs from that era say.
              I own one..they were both jbs

Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nsatke View Post
                I own one..they were both jbs

Hmm, weird. The 1997 and 1998 catalogs that I have state it's a TB5 in the bridge. I assume you didn't buy it used?

Comment

DiMarzio SD (70s) vs. Duncan JB (80s)

Hmm, weird. The 1997 and 1998 catalogs that I have state it's a TB5 in the bridge. I assume you didn't buy it used?
                  I bought it new. Put all my hard earned pennies to it in 1998. Sometimes manufacturers just goof on specs because the person typing the catalog isn't a musician. Also is it wierd that they would use a jb for the neck? True though .

Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                    While I agree that the JB has not changed ( to my ears) over the years, I think that there hve been differences in Super D's as time has passed. My all time, never-ever-get-rid-of-it- Super D is the one that came at the bridge of my '81 Hamer. It is most likely a replacement pickup, but it has some interesting features. It is a 2 conductor pickup with a braided shield going over the two conductors (plastic insulated), measures in right at 13K, and, what I think makes it sound different than the new ones, it's UNPOTTED. It has about as much physical noise and feed back potential as the Seths or antiquities I've tried in that same guitar.

The sound: very much like you'd expect from a Super D. When played back to back with a new one though, the old one is a bit looser in the lows, sweeter and more open in the highs, and just sounds "wider" overall, if you catch my meaning. It's not necessarily fatter, it just seems to take up more sonic space. kind of like the difference between a 335 and a LP.
                    Magnets can change over 40 years. Probably less output now.

Comment

I swear to god, where did the idea come from that magnets can degausse to such an extent that it's audible. especially the ceramics: those puppies really don't degausse that easily. Just check the curie temperatures for alnico's and ceramics etc etc.

Comment

Having removed the pickups from one, I can tell you this is indeed the case. Weird choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                          Magnets can change over 40 years. Probably less output now.
                          When Frank Falbo was at Duncan, he did an interesting analysis of an '80s JB vs a new one, and the sonic changes all seemed to be based on the magnet aging. I'm pretty sure the Antiquity JB came about from this work. Unfortunately, Frank's posts on the subject were in a non-public forum, so I can't link them.

Comment

Its funny you bring this up because we talked about this exact subject on "Lunch with Dan Boul" on Wednesday (2/12/14) In the late 70's he started out by chiseling his vintage Les Paul (yes you read correctly) for a Dimarzio Super D, and didn't like it so much and shortly thereafter tried the JB and stuck with that. Fast forward to about 1hr, 10 mins into it. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/43729759 Dan tells his story about the first SD and JB, could be something of value there.

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
                            When Frank Falbo was at Duncan, he did an interesting analysis of an '80s JB vs a new one, and the sonic changes all seemed to be based on the magnet aging. I'm pretty sure the Antiquity JB came about from this work. Unfortunately, Frank's posts on the subject were in a non-public forum, so I can't link them.
                            I don't recall being on any non-public forums, but if so, I'm sure it's the same stuff I said here. If you have the link or remember which forum it was, you can email that to me, then maybe I can shed some light on it. Here's the story I think you're referring to: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...riginals-RC-A5

Short version-took an old JB, regaussed it, and it sounded pretty close to the new one, reinforcing the notion that the primary affection toward an older JB is if it had the rough-cast magnet which has degaussed over 20-30 years.

Comment

Working...
                            X