What pu's for Schecter Loomis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pu's for Schecter Loomis?

I'm considering changing my Loomis' pu's for passives. Seven string, ash body, OFR, EMG 707's.

Although this was my first guitar with actives, I can't say I dislike them, specially for high gain stuff. What I miss the most is the versatility for cleans, which in my other guitar (6er) I used to get splitting the pu's.

So for the high gain stuff I don't need something radically diferent, I just want something that gives me at least the same definition, but also has some nice clean sounds.

To listen my "style", you can check some home recordings at soundclick . "Nova 2" could be considered my "average" song, with melodic heavy parts, clean parts, and most of the times some leads. Some songs are less friendly, but I'd also like to be able to reach for some melodic rock or power ballad without shame.

I've been suggested a BKP Nailbomb set, but it's probably too much €€, but I'll only go for those if it's a very obvious choice over Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan. Blackouts are not out of question, but at this point I'm considering mostly passives.

What do you think?

Re: What pu's for Schecter Loomis?

I've heard almost nothing negative about BKP, but I haven't heard nearly as much about them. Considering on this side of the pond they cost like a Custom Shop order, I haven't seen any reason to look into them.

His guitars seem to be maple neck & fretboard. So bright but not harsh from the neck, but ash bodies can be a bit hard and bright.

You might look at some of the EMG dual-tone pickups, as an alternative to switching away from actives. Most people still feel they are very different from passive cleans, though, and some reports have them compromising the humbucker tone a bit.

You could also look at replacing the EMG electronics with the new Seymour Duncan Blackout Modular Preamp, which would let you get active tones from passive pickups, giving you a much wider range of options.

As far as passives, I'm not familiar with 7 string options so much. If you are lucky and your guitar is warmer than the ash guitars I've been around, there's a lot more options...

Comment

Do they make the Livewire's for 7 strings? I would try those out or the Blackout 7s....

You could try the Dimarzio CrunchLab/Liquifire 7 set or X2N 7 with something tamer for the neck....

Comment

For more passive options:

Seymour Duncan does have 7 string versions of many of their pickup models (just not my favorites the Parallel Axis series). Custom Shop can do 7 string versions of all their standard pickups, if any are missing that you like.

But the JB, Distortion, Invader, Custom, '59, Jazz and Full Shred all come in 7 string versions. Custom and '59 is a great combo for rock and metal, you might prefer a Distortion bridge, though. Full Shred set is also very popular for downtuned metal.

Oh, and don't forget that if you go passive, you'll need replacement potentiometers (500K typically, though most prefer the JB with 250-300K) and capacitor.

Comment

Are the 7 string versions f-spaced? The site says there are trembucker versions but I didn't understand if it's only for 6 strings...

And thanks for the replies.

Comment

ive always wondered since dave mustaine used JBs then went to his live wires which are supposed to sound like active jb's, doesnt the live wires sound alot like emg 85s or 81?

since ive read that the 85s and JB are very close in tone
            my youtube channel
            www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
            my Industrial music for sale here
            http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
            my soundcloud page
            https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
            my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
            https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

Comment

Originally posted by surface54 View Post
              ive always wondered since dave mustaine used JBs then went to his live wires which are supposed to sound like active jb's, doesnt the live wires sound alot like emg 85s or 81?
              The Mustaine Live Wires are bascially an active JB and Jazz. They are hotter than their passive counter parts and have much more "sparkle" when clean.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by rbd View Post
                I've been suggested a BKP Nailbomb set, but it's probably too much €€, but I'll only go for those if it's a very obvious choice over Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan. Blackouts are not out of question, but at this point I'm considering mostly passives.

What do you think?
                I have have always been content with DMs for seven strings. Actually, the old Blaze models are still one of my favorites. The Evolution is a great seven string bridge pup.

I have used and do like the Air Norton 7 and the Blaze in the neck also.
                Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

It's just that few suggestions are for guitars with the same woods. Usually 7 string guitars will be made out of basswood (Ibanez RG's) or mahogany (Schecter and some Ibanez's). I don't know how much influence it makes, but people seem to care about body woods.

I could choose a regular Blaze set as in the Ibby Universe or the popular JB/Jazz or JB/59', but haven't seen those for bright wood guitars. Is it too much of a concern?

Comment

Originally posted by rbd View Post
                    It's just that few suggestions are for guitars with the same woods. Usually 7 string guitars will be made out of basswood (Ibanez RG's) or mahogany (Schecter and some Ibanez's). I don't know how much influence it makes, but people seem to care about body woods.

I could choose a regular Blaze set as in the Ibby Universe or the popular JB/Jazz or JB/59', but haven't seen those for bright wood guitars. Is it too much of a concern?
                    I wouldn't think so. I like those types of pups in bright guitars, they accentuate the attack which is even more advantageous with low tunings.

The JB is notoriously good in alder guitars with maple fret boards.

Comment

Hey, this idea has been put aside for a while but I'm reconsidering it again.

So, the idea is to go passive and have more versatility, specially in clean tones, for which I like to have split pu tones. The 707's like I've said, I don't find them lacking with high gain. The bridge works fine, the neck I find it very smooth, probably a bit too much.

And I would get rid of the battery...

Comment

For versatility, I can't recommend the Crunchlab/Liquifire higher, but you may get off results in ash. I'm currently looking for the right humbuckers for my swamp ash Horizon.
                        SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
                        Mi Familia

Comment

The Distortion seems to have a great reputation. Any knowledge in a guitar like this?

How about the neck? I'm not too much educated in guitar woods/tones this one seems to be considered a bright guitar. A Jazz would be too bright?

Comment

Working...
                          X