banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good can a Strat bridge pickup sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How good can a Strat bridge pickup sound?

Originally posted by Despair View Post
    People often forget (or don't know) that Jimi Hendrix used a long curly guitar cord because it sounded better to him on single coils.

A lot of guitarists rewire for master tone, and shuffle pots around as needed to get one on the bridge pickup.

Or plunk a capacitor & resistor in for a fixed tone from the bridge... Obvious solution for a Hendrix fan who doesn't want to deal with cable choice issues.

People also miss that Hendrix's flipping a right-handed guitar and reverse stringing gave him a reverse pickup slant from most people, which affects how harsh the high strings sound...

I couldn't use a strat without some combination of the above.
    Good info here bro. I still have 3 coil cords from the late 60's that actually still work! With the advent of high end cables, many guitar players have never experienced the natural attenuation of highs a funky old pos cable adds. In the right setting (and set up) it can be a thing of beauty! Also, the various Zhangliqun suggestion mentioned are right on. I'm a huge fan of Dave's work and every experience with him has been superb. Not only is he a great guy, he actually listen's (a lost art in today's world) to you and has an incredible ability to deliver....while exceeding expectations. A couple of pups I dig that happen to be great bargains are the Dimarzo DP 171 Blue Velvet, (no longer in production) and the bridge pup from Tonerider's City Limits set. YMMV though and probably will!

The main thing is there is no "Do this one thing and it will fix your problem". Each one of us that is blessed to play guitar hear things differently. The tones that delight my ears may sound like a huge load of moldy dog crap to you. In 1970, a great guy took the time to show me the pentatonic box deal. What a revelation! I had just taken ownership of my uncles 1957 Les Paul Special and my mom bought me an Acoustic 135 (poor mans solid state Twin) amp for my birthday. I thought I was hot stuff baby! Shortly after that, I got into a fist fight with a fella who mistook me for someone else. Long story short, a buddy who said he played drums wanted to start a band. So we drove over to jam with his guitar playing buddy. Yep, it was fist fight guy. after jamming, we became best buds, (still are after all these years) dumped the would be drummer, and went on to play music together to this day.

The point I'm trying to get is my buddy always played on the bridge bucker of his SG, while I spent 90% of my time on the neck P90 of Lester, 7% on both pups and 3% on the bridge. 35 years later, the guitars have changed and there are more of them, but whatever guitar he's playing, he is using the bridge pup. For me these days it's about 95% neck with the other 5% divided equally between middle and bridge.

While there are a ton of variables involved, reading the posts in this thread pretty much state to each is/her own. Some hate strat bridge pups, others want to tame it, others dig it just as it is. No right or wrong, just what pleases your ears and works for you. Now shut off the computer and go play your guitar!
    Last edited by teleblooz; 05-04-2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
      ****ing amazing is how good it can sound. IMO, it's the last pickup on a Strat that should be replaced, souped up, etc...yet it's usually the first to go when people start modding. I don't understand that. The regular Strat bridge tone (not mixed with the middle, and not over-wound) is incredible...and unique.
      But it is soooooo harsh, can't get enough distortion and its noisy!!!

Don't flame me - I'm in full agreement with you; thing is I had to reach my later 20s to realize what I had.

Comment

To elaborate a bit... Think of a no load pot as "infinite resistance" on 10. It is an open circuit with no electrical path to the capacitor. Same thing as having no tone circuit installed. At 9, the resistance is about 250k. As you turn down to zero, the resistance is lowered making the path to the capacitor "easier". At 0 the resistance is next to nothing allowing the capacitor to do its thing without restriction, passing off the high frequencies to ground without additional resistance from the pot.

Personally, I haven't had any issues or complaints with a "jump" in tone between 9 and 10. At least nothing objectionable. I usually run my bridge tone at 6-7, though, to bleed off some of the harshness. YMMV.
        Last edited by Steve R.; 05-04-2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

SSL-5 is an excellent Strat bridge pickup. It's not harsh and handles gain very well.

Here's a clip of the SSL-5 in my Strat. Everything was done on the bridge SSL-5.

Comment

Invader, wired in parallel. Done.

P.S. I wire for master vol/tone. That leaves a hole for a switch. Switching the Invader back to series, (turbo mode), works great.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-05-2014, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
              To elaborate a bit... Think of a no load pot as "infinite resistance" on 10. It is an open circuit with no electrical path to the capacitor. Same thing as having no tone circuit installed. At 9, the resistance is about 250k. As you turn down to zero, the resistance is lowered making the path to the capacitor "easier". At 0 the resistance is next to nothing allowing the capacitor to do its thing without restriction, passing off the high frequencies to ground without additional resistance from the pot.

Personally, I haven't had any issues or complaints with a "jump" in tone between 9 and 10. At least nothing objectionable. I usually run my bridge tone at 6-7, though, to bleed off some of the harshness. YMMV.
              This!

Also, apart of what type of tone wiring you will choose you need to find a pickup that suits your needs.
              If you want a fatter bridge tone, then you need to have another type of pickup (instead of vintage output A5)
              My favourites are ssl-5 and aps-1 but prefer the first because it has more definition and power.

Comment

Working...
              X