Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup magnet weakening?

This could be a record idiot question, but here goes:
    If i leave my lead plugge into my guitar, even while not playing, does it mean the magnets will go bad quicker? Ha. If you leave 2 guitars in a room for 10-20 years, one sending a current down your 20ft lead, the other not, will there be a dead magnet at the other end? Now if the one were near a speaker, then it stands to reason that....oooh hell, just play the damn guitar!
    Last edited by Toenail-Tommy; 11-17-2004, 03:57 AM. Reason: unclear
    '96 MIM Fender Strat: nck-APS1 + mid-APS1 Alnc II Pro Stg RwRp + brdg-Lil '59
    Korea Squire '97 Strat: The MIM's stock pups
    Epiphone '96 Sheraton: Stock 'buckers
    Samick Tele: Tele HotRails in bridge + stock neck

Re: pickup magnet weakening?

I'm not sure, I know they get weaker over time, like 20-30 years, but I don't know about your idea...

BTW: Your avatar is pretty cool, what is it?
    "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

It won't be a problem as long as you lay the guitar down with the neck pointing North or South. That way the pickup magnet lies in parallel with the Earth's magnetic flux, and will revitalize.

Thats why humbuckers always sound better in Portland, than they do in say, So Cal. Higher density of flux.

Artie

Comment

Nice, and if you need pickup revitalisation - just lay it agains a bassists' cabinet, it will re-magnetise the alnicos.....not

the avtar is a oil can guitar, which here in Africa, is the way most kids first learn the general idea of string instruments. The one shown however is a proper guitar, scale length PRS neck, pickups etc.... check out http://www.southafrica.info/doing_bu...ing/guitar.htm
        '96 MIM Fender Strat: nck-APS1 + mid-APS1 Alnc II Pro Stg RwRp + brdg-Lil '59
        Korea Squire '97 Strat: The MIM's stock pups
        Epiphone '96 Sheraton: Stock 'buckers
        Samick Tele: Tele HotRails in bridge + stock neck

Comment

Cool link. I wonder if those have any of the "Dobro" sound?

btw - Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Yeah, cool link, interesting guitars too...
            "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

Working...
            X