coil splits - inside or outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil splits - inside or outside?

I'm putting a Jazz/JB pickup set in my Les Paul Studio and I plan to split both pickups by using a push/pull pot for the tone knobs. Which coil gets split? What are the tonal differences?

Thanks!

Re: coil splits - inside or outside?

split them to the outside. That way you get the most "authentic" or "vintage" sound from them, closest coil to the neck and closest to the bridge. My tech told me before though that if you split them to the inner coils there is less of a volume dropoff, and I tried that too and they just didn't sound as good as when they were split to the outside, Same pickups too, the Jazz and JB sound great split.

Comment

in general i use the outside coils as well, better tone

Comment

I get a nice, smooth jazzy tone with the inside coils, but the outer coils give you a better approximation of a single coil vibe.
        "Ayo, lesson here, Bey... you come at the king, you best not miss."

-- Omar Little

Comment

One inside, one outside, that way, it's humcancelling in the middle position when both are split.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I once used a three-way split and had both sounds.
            Pickups... the final frontier.
            These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
            Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
              One inside, one outside, that way, it's humcancelling in the middle position when both are split.
              Really? That's interesting. Anybody else prefer one coil over the other?

Comment

Working...
              X