Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring HELP please!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I have installed 2 new pickups, both are of the 2 wire kind, I have a volume + a tone and a 3 way switch, I downloaded the schematic from SD site and followed it exactly (?), NO sound!!, after messing about with the wiring, I now have sound, the tone works, the volume now works in reverse, turn it down to turn it up, there is a lot of interferance, and changing wires around seems to make the volume ok, but the tone stops working, or, the volume turns down as normal, till it gets halway, then turns back up again???
    This is driving me mad, can some kind soul please help before I go crazy?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
    Scottish, born and bred.

Re: Wiring HELP please!!!!!!!!!!

What make of Pickups are they?

Different manufacturers have different wire colour codes (I found this out the hard way)
    "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

They are Rio Grandes', only 2 wire on each pup, 1 for earth 1 live, they were ok with the old pots, but I bought some CTS(?) pots to replace the old ones.

Jon
      Scottish, born and bred.

Comment

There shouldn't be a problem with CTS pots, I can't find any schematics for Rio Grande though.

Hopefully someone will have some Rio Grande experience, there are couple of wiring gurus about here...
        "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

In order to get the volume control behaviour that you're describing, you must have wired it incorrectly.
          Use this diagram as a guide, and double-check your wiring:

This shows three pups, and a 5-way, but the basics are the same. Especially the volume and tone wiring.

Artie

btw - This shows the "50's mod". You could wire the tone control before the volume also.

Comment

Working...
          X