Fav bridge pickup in an SG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fav bridge pickup in an SG?

I just picked up a gibson SG. I love the feel and the acoustic tone it has, the bridge pup is just a little harsh and raspy for my likes.

It currently has Duncan APII pickups in it, I've been looking into some Dimarzios but am open to any suggestions (just no $100+ pickups) Basically looking for something with some thick low mids.

If you guys could help steer me in the right direction that'd be great.
    77 Gibson Les Paul Custom (70's DiMarzios)
    Gibson Les Paul (Duncan Distortion, Pearly Gates)
    Fuchs Blackjack 21
    -Fuchs Plush Cream
    -Boss DD7 Delay

Re: Fav bridge pickup in an SG?

You find the A2P harsh and raspy?!

Does your LP sound harsh and raspy too? Check your EQ settings on your amp.

Might try a Screamin Demon in your bridge. Sounds very smooth, full, rich, even, articulate-without-sounding-harsh in my SG type guitar. If that sounds too harsh and raspy in your SG, consider putting in an A4 or A2 mag.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

My favorite bridge pickup for my SG has been a Riogrande Barbecue Bucker. Its more a hot rodded PAF type sound lots of growl with nice thick mids. I tried alot of pickups in that guitar that didnt agree with it but that one has been great.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The most popular bridge PU here for SG's is a C8 (C5 with an A8 magnet). It's very good. Warm, tight low end, full mids, plenty of muscle. The other suggestion would be the same PU, but with an UOA5 mag in it, which is also a warm mag, but with more dynamics and a little less output than an A8.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

First to recommend Custom 8 on this thread! Not the last...

Edit: damn it blueman!

Comment

Aged A5 magnet Brobucker has been awesome in my own SG..Be careful not to go too dark with your pickup selection.
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              You find the A2P harsh and raspy?!

Does your LP sound harsh and raspy too? Check your EQ settings on your amp.

Might try a Screamin Demon in your bridge. Sounds very smooth, full, rich, even, articulate-without-sounding-harsh in my SG type guitar. If that sounds too harsh and raspy in your SG, consider putting in an A4 or A2 mag.
              Not at all, the les paul is thick and smooth. I'm just looking for more growl than bite outta the SG.
              Fuchs Blackjack 21
              -Fuchs Plush Cream
              -Boss DD7 Delay

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                The most popular bridge PU here for SG's is a C8 (C5 with an A8 magnet). It's very good. Warm, tight low end, full mids, plenty of muscle. The other suggestion would be the same PU, but with an UOA5 mag in it, which is also a warm mag, but with more dynamics and a little less output than an A8.
                Sounds like the C8 is what i'm looking for...i have no idea how to change out mags in pickups though.
                Fuchs Blackjack 21
                -Fuchs Plush Cream
                -Boss DD7 Delay

Comment

Originally posted by BeeGee View Post
                  Sounds like the C8 is what i'm looking for...i have no idea how to change out mags in pickups though.
                  My tutorial and you're welcome! ;o) Not that hard really...Just make sure you get the magnet polarity orientation right!

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I would not in a million years put a demon in an SG, and I would not ever recommend it to someone who wants less harsh and more low mids, sheesh.

Super D or Duncan Custom/C8 dude. If you want to get crazy I've tried and really liked the El Diablo, WCR Ironman and the Super3.

Comment

...or Dirty Fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeGee View Post
                        You could always put an A8 in that PG first, it is worth a shot.

I really appreciate that great and detailed magnet changing tutorial. However, if you're super lazy like me you can just keep the humbucker wired up, unscrew it from the guitar and ring, loosen the screws on the bottom baseplate of pickup, lift up tape near the magnet, push or pull out the magnet (being very careful not to touch any wires or coils, touch new mag to old mag before you completely remove it (ends repel, sides attract) and slide in the new magnet, screw everything together, done.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                          I would not in a million years put a demon in an SG, and I would not ever recommend it to someone who wants less harsh and more low mids, sheesh.

Super D or Duncan Custom/C8 dude. If you want to get crazy I've tried and really liked the El Diablo, WCR Ironman and the Super3.
                          Quick thread crossover from "Jazz vs Demon neck pickup"

What's the mismatch between a Demon and an SG? Too thin? I was thinking of trying a Demon in place of my Jazz neck in an SG.

Comment

To me beefy hot pickups sound best in an SG bridge position. A Demon would sound thin, and probably shrill unless you drop the presence/treble down a lot. For sure, if an A2P is "harsh and raspy", then no way is the OP is gonna like a Demon.

I don't mean to bash the Demon, I just like darker pickups, and it sounds like a single coil to me. I thought it was alright as a neck pickup, a couple things I didn't like, but I like it better than the jazz, 59, or 490R/A5.

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
                              You could always put an A8 in that PG first, it is worth a shot.

I really appreciate that great and detailed magnet changing tutorial. However, if you're super lazy like me you can just keep the humbucker wired up, unscrew it from the guitar and ring, loosen the screws on the bottom baseplate of pickup, lift up tape near the magnet, push or pull out the magnet (being very careful not to touch any wires or coils, touch new mag to old mag before you completely remove it (ends repel, sides attract) and slide in the new magnet, screw everything together, done.
                              Your way is fine,providing the pickups don't have covers..I've done it that way also,but I really wanted to show how to do it thoroughly...Sometimes(especially if you don't know what you're doing)the shorter way can create problems..

Comment

Working...
                              X