banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP~Wiring?? I want to wire a Mini-on/on/on switch as my 3-way pickup selector???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP~Wiring?? I want to wire a Mini-on/on/on switch as my 3-way pickup selector???

I can't find a diagram that shows how to wire a "MINI-on/on/on" switch as the 3-position pickup selector for a Telecaster - Both (2) neck & bridge pickups are stacked Duncan (4-conductor) single coils. I just want to replace the standard 3-way toggle with a mini-on/on/on switch - how do you wire this mini switch???

I also want to have 1-volume and 1-tone (the tone being a push pull pot so I can coil tap the outer coils of these single-coil sized humbuckers). I think it's very similar to the PRS McCarty wiring, as this is exactly what it does, but I just can't figure out how to wire the mini-on/on/on to work as the 3-way.
    Any help would be appreciated as Duncan says they don't have a schematic for this?? I didn't think it was that strange???

Thanks so much for any help.

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    vom Saal Guitar Instruction
    ~Music-washes-away-the-dust-of-everyday-life~

Re: HELP~Wiring?? I want to wire a Mini-on/on/on switch as my 3-way pickup selector?

Unfortunately I can't draw you a diagram that would be readable, but I can try to walk you through it. A 3-way on/on/on toggle has to be DPDT, so it has 6 lugs on it. They should be numbered on the actual switch, but if not, you can number them mentally (they all work the same way). It should go 1, 2, 3 from top to bottom on the left side, then 4, 5, 6 from top to bottom on the right when looking at the lugs. On/on/on switches have two connection patterns. You'll need to connect the left and right sides of the switch (1 to 4, 2 to 5, 3 to 6) to ensure that the wiring works for both patterns (that way you don't have to know which pattern yours is). Connect the hot lead (black wire on SD pickups) from the neck pickup to terminal 1/4 and the hot from the bridge pickup to terminal 3/6. Connect terminal 2/5 as the hot lead out to your volume knob. Wire the white and red wires to your push/pull pot as you normally would for splitting.

When the switch is toward terminals 1/4, the neck pup is connected to the volume knob. When the switch is toward terminals 3/6, the bridge pup is connected. When the switch is in the middle, both are connected. Hope this helps.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil? Do you think you can tell?

Comment

Re: HELP~Wiring?? I want to wire a Mini-on/on/on switch as my 3-way pickup selector?

Dude!!

Comment

Working...
      X