Measuring Resistance of HB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Resistance of HB

I think I know, but just for kicks: On passive pickup like a seth lover/59 with a 2 conductor lead how do I measure the resistance? (I've got my digital meter on the resistance setting. Then.....)
    And if I'm not getting reading that means....?
    Thanks,
    matt
    Acoustic: Larrivee D-03R, Epiphone PR-350-SM (Fishman matrix infiniti)
    Electric: 2005 Gibson SG Special (57/57+), 2008 Gibson SG Classic, Homemade Telecaster (Benson pickups)
    Amps: 1960 Gibson Explorer Amp, 1973 Fender Princeton Amp, Fender Champion 300

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. -Will Rogers-

Re: Measuring Resistance of HB

If you're not getting a reading, either the pickup is broken or you're not doing it right.

Put one side of yor meter on the shiled (outer part) and the other on the inner wire. THis should give you a proper reading.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

That's what I'm doing and I get no reading on my meter.
      The gentleman who sold me this '59 told me quote, "its a coil so you should get close to zero, or some kind of resistance. As long as its not an open circuit then it should be working, but the only way to truly find out if its working is to try it out."
      I guess these things make nice paper weights....
      Any suggestions on possible problems? Perhaps the grounding is bad? Or am I looking at a rewind?
      Electric: 2005 Gibson SG Special (57/57+), 2008 Gibson SG Classic, Homemade Telecaster (Benson pickups)

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. -Will Rogers-

Comment

If you're measuring correctly and getting no reading, then either the hot wire is detached from its original solder point at the coils, or the coil itself is damaged. If the wire is detached, you just need to resolder the connection. If the coil is damaged, you're looking at $75 for a rewind, in which case it's actually cheaper to buy a new one.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Thanks for the low down.
          Ryan, how do you like the A3 in 59 bridge? Did it thick'n up the tone?
          I was thinking of replacing the A5 with A2 or 3 in this neck '59 before finding it to be DOA.
          matt

Comment

Working...
          X