banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just put a Custom in my LP Studio and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just put a Custom in my LP Studio and...

I don't know if im all that thrill with it. Compared to my other LP Studio that has a Distortion in it it, it sounds brighter and not as much bottom-end. I was originally worried that there would be too much bottom-end, at least this was what I was led to believe according to the tone chart. I was thinking of trying a JB, but am worried that there may not be the bottom end I'm looking for. I am trying to get a similar sound to the LP with the DD. Should I stick with a DD(I really like the thick-chunk) or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers Primo.
    GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Re: Just put a Custom in my LP Studio and...

Originally posted by primo
    I don't know if im all that thrill with it. Compared to my other LP Studio that has a Distortion in it it, it sounds brighter and not as much bottom-end. I was originally worried that there would be too much bottom-end, at least this was what I was led to believe according to the tone chart. I was thinking of trying a JB, but am worried that there may not be the bottom end I'm looking for. I am trying to get a similar sound to the LP with the DD. Should I stick with a DD(I really like the thick-chunk) or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers Primo.
    The Custom5 and Les Pauls go together very well.
    Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Cheers Primo.
      ..If you have 500k pots, try using 250k pots before you go & buy a new pup.
      ..I've toasted a pot while installing a pup & it took the bass right-out of my tone. ..That could be the prob w/your tone?
      Last edited by Russ; 11-23-2004, 09:02 AM.
      A link to the VERY LIMITED (Ladies) OPETH G-String!! ..Act Now!!!:bigthumb:
      This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

The Custom I had definitely had more bottom end than the Distortion.....

Comment

Tweak it.

Try adjusting the pickup height and polepieces. There are a lot of sounds hidden in little details like this.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Cheers Primo.
            KUL AVATAR!!! I HAVE THAT 1 2!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
              Tweak it.

Try adjusting the pickup height and polepieces. There are a lot of sounds hidden in little details like this.

I've tried this, but what would you recommend to increase the bass response, lower the polepieces and raise the pup height?

Cheers Primo.
              GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Comment

The Custom has not enough low end?!
                Are you shure it's correctly wired? Are all pot's functioning normal?
                Try raising the polepieces so the bottom of the screwhead is flush with the top of the bobbin, then lower the outer polepieces a little so you match the neck radius.

Experiment with the pickup height, depress the strings at the last fret and raise the pickup to it's maximum. From there on start lowering the pickup turn by turn you'll hear it right away when you hit the sweet spot. Good luck,and let us know if it worked.

If nothing has changed, try adding more treble on your amp, this will make your palm mutes sound bigger if you use a lot of bass by adding bite.

Comment

I've tried this, but what would you recommend to increase the bass response, lower the polepieces and raise the pup height?

Cheers Primo.

Yes. That should make it fatter sounding.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The custom definetly has a bit of low end, and should sound great in a lespaul, cos the lespaul is a fairly thick peice of wood and u shouldnt have to much of a problem with the low end in that. Why dont you try angling the pickup so the screws for the low e sting are slighlty higher than the treble strings, theres no need to adjust pole pieces unless volume is an issue.
                    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                    Blackstar HT-5
                    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Is this an SH-5?

Is this a Ceramic or Alnico?

I have the same question going on in a thread below. I might soon be going 59n SH-5 on my LP Studio instead of 490/498

Comment

Originally posted by davidd
                        Is this an SH-5?

Is this a Ceramic or Alnico?

I have the same question going on in a thread below. I might soon be going 59n SH-5 on my LP Studio instead of 490/498
                        Yes, it's an SH-5...and it is Ceramic.

And that pickup combo you have there, has perfection written all over it.

Comment

Another vote for the SH-5 in a Les Paul. I tried one in my LP after playing JBs for several years... That was January 2002, and since then I've swapped all of my JBs for Customs.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Cool. Thanks again.

I really doubt I would go with a 59B since I will most likely use the LP bridge fro cranked gain. I had a JB a long time ago and din't care for the nasaly???? sound.

Does the SH-5 have any similar characteristics?

Comment

The Custom really doesn't sound that much like a JB... I think it sounds like a '59 with twice as much output.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X