500T Replacement Recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500T Replacement Recomendations

I'm curious what you folks think would be a good replacement for a Gibson 500T pickup? The 500T lacks the "fullness" I'm looking for. Seems a bit to thin to me but the output is good. Which Duncan pickup would you recommend? I'm not looking for a scooped Metal tone, just a well rounded, balanced tone with high output.

Thanks for any info.
    Lamb

Re: 500T Replacement Recomendations

Originally posted by Lambahanman
    I'm curious what you folks think would be a good replacement for a Gibson 500T pickup? The 500T lacks the "fullness" I'm looking for. Seems a bit to thin to me but the output is good. Which Duncan pickup would you recommend? I'm not looking for a scooped Metal tone, just a well rounded, balanced tone with high output.

Thanks for any info.
    Lamb
    Hey Lamb,

Welcome to the forum!

I replaced the 500T that came stock in my LP Classic with a Duncan Distortion and I couldn't be happier. Great chunky tone, tight bottom, searing leads. I find it very balanced. In fact there's one in the neck too. It's my CRUNCH MACHINE

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

The 500T is a ceramic magnet pup with a fairly high output...i you like most of it but want it fuller sounding, I would agree...try a set of Duncan Distortions! They are great pups, the clean up well, and they ever sound good when split!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

The Custom is another option.

Comment

Since he said... "SCOOPED METAL TONE" i Would suggest a C5.
          what about the mids and highs? do you relaly like scooped mids? tamed highs?
          Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
          Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
          Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
          Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
          Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
          Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
          Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
          Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

I replaced mine with a Seth Lover and am loving it. My next choice would be a custom custom, which is supposed to be great in a Les Paul. I might also consider a Pearly Gates since lots of guys are using it happily.
            -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
            -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

He said he likes the 500T but wants it fuller...an Alnico Ii pup will not have a similar tone...a DD or a Custom will be closest to a 500T...but will be a FAR better sound IMO!
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Does anyone have any clips of the C5?
                Here's another tid-bit of info that is a factor in deciding on which pup to buy. It will be used for some fast palm muted riffs - think Metallica's Fight Fire with Fire right after the acoustic intro, although I'm NOT looking for a Metallica type tone.

Thanks again. Anyone have any info on the Rio BBQ? I've heard good things about that as well.

Comment

dude...I'm telling you try a SET of Duncan Distortions...the more you sey, the more i think you would love them!!!

Comment

A duncan custom or distortion would provide what you need. They are both high output and have clarity under gain and fairly balanced sounding. They shud be sweet.
                    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                    Blackstar HT-5
                    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Right on. Anyone have a recomendation for the best place with the best price to buy Duncan pup's? Or do I just cruise to the local GC and get 'em to make me a deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Lambahanman
                        Right on. Anyone have a recomendation for the best place with the best price to buy Duncan pup's? Or do I just cruise to the local GC and get 'em to make me a deal?

My buddy, Lew/Lewguitar will set you up. He's on the forum here. Just Pm him.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Working...
                        X