Pickup Change In Les Paul Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Change In Les Paul Studio

Currently I've got a Custom 5 in the bridge and a '59n in the neck; and the longer I have them, the more I think I need something different in both positions. The C-5 seems a bit too thin and bright for my tastes; the bass seems to be just about right, but there's too much treble and not enough mids (esp not enough low mids). I do however love the clarity of it. As for the '59 . . . well, its hard to describe what I don't like. It's kinda harsh on the high-end and a little bright as well. I'm thinking of maybe trying a Custom 3 in the bridge and maybe an Alnico II Pro in the neck. I am however open to any other suggestions . . . they don't have to be only Duncans either. For purely aesthetic reasons, I prefer open coils, but its definently not a deciding factor.

In case it would help, I play through a Marshall JCM2000 into Greenbacks and I play alt-rock-pop-punk-emo-ish music mostly with a dash of metal/hardcore on the side.

Thanks.
    My Band

"I write more post cards than hooks, I read more maps than books, I feel like every chance to leave is another chance I should've took."

Re: Pickup Change In Les Paul Studio

PGs!
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

The PG's get a rap for being a bright pup...but I just put a set in my Moderne, and i must say...I love these things...they kick the ass of every pup I've ever had in here, and they will be staying here. BTW...it was the good Dr. Barlo that first got me thinking aobut PG's...Thanks Doc!!!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Don't mention it.

I love them PGs. They are kinda bright but not a5 kinda bright. You'd know that by now. Their brightness comes from the mismatched coils instead of the magnet. And thus more lowermids, more spongy bass; all the things I love in PAF clones.

PGs are the best non-custom shop PAF clones! At least for my tastes. Then again there is a fierce competition for that title (e.g. seths or a2ps). But PGs do it for me.

B

Comment

I have a Distortion in my LP Studio and love it! I would highly recommend it. Oh yeah, I'm playing througn a TSL60.

Cheers Primo.
          GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
            Don't mention it.

I love them PGs. They are kinda bright but not a5 kinda bright. You'd know that by now. Their brightness comes from the mismatched coils instead of the magnet. And thus more lowermids, more spongy bass; all the things I love in PAF clones.

PGs are the best non-custom shop PAF clones! At least for my tastes. Then again there is a fierce competition for that title (e.g. seths or a2ps). But PGs do it for me.

B
            Everything I've ever heard about the PGs makes them sound too bright, but since they do have A2 magnets, I guess it could be a different kind of brightness (like you said). Anyways, would you suggest a PG in both positions? How do they compare to other A2 pups such as the CC, Seth, or Alinco 2 pro? What about puting an alinco3 mag in my Custom?

Oh, and something I forget to mention in my original post: I am definently not looking for a pickup with more output. Less output would actually be preferable for the bridge. Also, I use the volume control on my guitar to get a clean sound so I need pickups that clean-up nicely.

Thank you.
            My Band

"I write more post cards than hooks, I read more maps than books, I feel like every chance to leave is another chance I should've took."

Comment

I wud recomend a custom, custom since it has more midrange than a c5 more bigger and buttery for the bridge or even a custom if you want more clarity and aggression. So u could just swap the magnet in the c5 for a few bucks and your on your way. For the neck the alnico 2pro or Pgn are great in almost any gat except maybe really bright ones. Overall sweet tone.
              PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
              1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
              Blackstar HT-5
              2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
              Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Yeah... from your description, I'd put a CC in the bridge, and either a PG or APH in the neck.
                Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

What about a Rio Grande BBQ? I think I remember hearing that they're nice and dark. Would they fit the bill? Just wondering . . . how does the Alnico II Pro sound in the bridge? People only seem to talk about it as a neck pickup.

A couple random questions . . . Would a JB with an alnico 2 magnet be similar to what I'm looking for? What about putting an alnico 2 magnet in '59 in my neck? An alnico 3 in my Custom? And finally; I remember hearing something about an "air" mod (ala dimarzios) . . . can anyone fill me in on this at all?

Thanks.
                  My Band

Comment

Don't worry too much. PG is a great pickup, the worst it can happen is either (1) you use the 21day exchange policy and get a CC; or if that does not apply (2) sell here on the board.

You are using your tone controls right? PG with the tone rolled down is really great.

And you have to decide for yourself, and you'll never know without trying.

CC is a cool pickup too, but I'd go with a PG for a studio. If you were looking for a HB in the bridge of a floyd rose guitar, then definitely CC. But as I said, I'd go with a PG. At least try one. If it does not work, you'd look for another one! It's all fun!

B

Comment

BTW it's all tastes. I like more of a PAF kinda HBs. Whereas lots of other folks here and there go for CC's C5's you name it. And this is something you have to find out yourself. Nobody can help.

And believe me a set of PGs is a great starting point. I think nobody (including some of them snobbish money-wasters over in the LPF) can deny that.

B

Comment

I get kind of obsesive about these sorts of things . . . I'm the kind of person that does extensive research before I buy instead of just buying and trying. I do use the tone knobs abit and on the '59 in the neck it works pretty well to take off the high end. But on the C-5, it doesn't help much; its takes the edge off, but its still too thin. So I guess I'll probably give the PGs a try and if those don't do the trick, I'll probably try a CC and an Alnico II Pro in the neck. Too many options . . . maybe I should just get a set of pickups custom made and be done with it all.
                        My Band

Comment

Let us know!

B

Comment

Working...
                          X