Tone Zone and JB compared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tone Zone and JB compared

YEAH UBER he was out of line and didnt even make sense with his post. you werent comparing the pu's just posting both to hear

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
      here is a clip of a Mod a guy did to his TZ to tame the bass and make it much clearer

the first part is stock, the second is with a 0.047uf cap in series with the hot wire and the third part is a 0.01uf cap in series to reduce the bass end of a TZ.
      here is the post,

i may find a new love for the tone zone after trying these mods
      Hey all, I'm the guy that did these tests. I'm glad some have found it a useful mod.

I've had some people comment on these samples saying that the TZ with the 0.001uf cap sounds very much like a JB. I'm going to have to get myself a JB to compare it against.
      http://www.lonephantom.com
      http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Tests kick butt. I would love to try it on a Super distortion to kill some bass.

Comment

I'm sure that the cap will solve the problem for you. Test a few values and see which one you like best.
          http://www.lonephantom.com
          http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

If you compare the two ON THAT CLIP .....and not what you know about them from previous experience they were pretty darned similar---chords might have revealed more about their true character. I have a guitar with TZ in it...and it sounds GREAT overdriven,,,and sounds like hammered s#!%, CLEAN,,,,,,But the idea was....comparing the two pickups,,FROM THE CLIP..........
            EVH's Frankenstein was a factory second junker put together by a drunk teenager and it's one of the most sought after guitar tones ever...Ian Ballard

playing an electric guitar unplugged to determine how it will sound is like sitting in a car, with the engine off, to determine how fast it is.

Ron Kirn

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
              Sorry for the confusion. The first sample is a JB and the second sample is a Tone Zone. The settings and everything was the same. I just plugged in the same strat after installing the JB.
              I believe you have it backwards, the TZ is the first recording (the muddy one). This has peeps thinking the Tone Zone was the second and more clear recording, when infact it was the JB. Please see your other reply below.

Absolutely no variable was changed when I recorded those samples. The EQ and everything stayed the same. All I did was put the amp on standby momentarily while I soldered in the JB, then plugged right in and recorded the second sample. You're just plain wrong on several levels here.
              Here you say the second recording sample is the JB. For the record the JB is clearer and ROCKS!

Comment

Here is a sound sample of a Dimarzio Tone Zone and Seymour Duncan JB trembucker in a strat. Let me know what you think.

Tone Zone vs JB

All I know is that Strat with the Tungsten finish is very nice-looking. The zebra looks really nice even with everything else black. I saw this thread because I am reaplcing the PG+ in my HSS Strat and am torn between an Air Norton, Norton, and JB.
                -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
                  All I know is that Strat with the Tungsten finish is very nice-looking. The zebra looks really nice even with everything else black. I saw this thread because I am reaplcing the PG+ in my HSS Strat and am torn between an Air Norton, Norton, and JB.
                  go with the JB

Comment

Tone Zone and JB compared

I don't the Tone Zone because it I muddy. At least that was my experience with the one in my So-Cal. I completely hated the Tone Zone. Changed it for a SD Alternative 8 an couldn't be happier.
                    Great deals list here
                    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, US Charvel San Dimas, MIJ Charvel So-Cal
                    Amp & FX: Eleven Rack w/ QSC K12
                    New Eleven Rack rig loader: https://sites.google.com/site/elevenhack/

Comment

The Tone Zone isn't a muddy pickup. You must have been doing something wrong. It sounds like you need to stick to ultra high output ceramic or A8 pickups. The Tone Zone is more of a hot vintage pickup and the Alt8 is very modern. Just a whole different kind of pickup all together.

Comment

I liked the second one the best. It was more guttural, better growl, had more balls to me. Hows that for a subjective description. III....lllike it!
                        Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                        If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

were the pickup heights exactly the same in the demo?

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                            you were listening to the same clip as everyone else, right?

they sounded identical, with the second, just slightly more "bell-like"
                            touch more chime , in a band context would be imperceptible
                            I totally agree. I couldnt tell enough of a difference to matter. Both didnt sound all that good. My JB through my Mesa LSS sounds way better. How did you record those?

Comment

Working...
                            X